Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just when I thought I had this all figured out!%^@^$@&*(

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just when I thought I had this all figured out!%^@^$@&*(

I always wanted an ATV but could never really justify the purchase given the liklihood that it would have gotten too little use. Then I joined a hunting club that uses ATVs on their farm and purchased property where I built a new home that requires a good bit of mowing in muddy soils. I found this forum and am very appreciative of the wealth of knowlege and experience you guys so freely share.

I posted a thread here and got good advice from those with far more experience than myself

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/418443.cfm

Then, I looked at websites, talked with owners and took aride or two. Then, when Honda when to a 2-4-2 drive system and changed the fromt brakes to dics - it was a no-brainer. I wanted (and ordered) a new 2005 Honda Rubicon. I don't want a belt, am very partial to anything mechanical that says "HONDA" on it and really like the idea of a Hydro-Static drive. I want a very reliable utility ATV that can be used for hunting, carrying people, gear, etc. and little bit of light trail riding. I thought I had this whole thing all gigrued out - right down to color and assessories.

Then, a buddy from the hunting club says, "Just make sure it has IRS otherwise you'll flip over trying to climb up to your deerstand on the rocky terrain." Huh????

Based upon everything I know (admittedly not as much as you guys) I really want a 2005 Rubicon. For my uses, do I really need IRS? I'd rather give up alittle bit of performance in exchange for simplicity, realiability, durability and less hassles.

The wife drives a Caddy and I drive a Dodge Ram Diesel. Other guys ride crotch rockets, I ride a Harley. Other guys have speed boats and floating whorehouses, I have a Parker. Starting to see a trend here?

Help me. Reassure me. '05 Rubicon or what???

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Then, a buddy from the hunting club says, "Just make sure it has IRS otherise you'll flip over trying to climb up to your deerstand on the rocky terrain. Huh????
Is the terrian that extreme?

If not, I wouldn't worry about IRS and the Rubicon will do just fine. If you want pure simplicity have you looked at the Forman450 shift model?

Old 09-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply. It's just northeastern Pennsylvania. It's got hills and it's got mud and there's rocks in the mud and dirt but I've been Jeepin' on all the trails in Moab and it sure ain't Moab!

I'll look into your suggestion regarding simplicity but I need to tow a large mower and do other plowing/pulling work aorund my place and thought that the Rubicon would be better suited for those functions. I will check out your suggestion; eventually my son will surely want an ATV as well.

Additon to post: Checked it out but see that it's air cooled. I do not know how that would work out with slow speed pulling in the summer or for idling.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

the rubicon is like a goat it will take you were you want to go.
if its steep just lean forword and you'll be ok
i rird my rubicon up some very steep and rocky terrane and i've had no problems.
you'll love your new honda go for it.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

it really depends on how ruff it gets.i hear a lot of guys saying oh irs is nothing special and neither is diff-lock well these features have helpem me get out of some pretty ruff predictiments. so yeah the irs is nice and i would go ahead and get a rincon if i was you but hey its your decision, also a lot of guys say you they go anywhere a four wheel drive does with there 2 wheel drive so hey maybe you aougth to look into a recon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why didn't people make a big deal over IRS when it came on the smaller quads like the Suzuki Quadrunners? The Quadrunner had all that stuff like locking diff., IRS, and multiple gear choices. The only place where it really lacked was a little heavier weight (for a 250) and short suspension travel. Then suzuki simplifies things and makes the Eiger and Vinsons. AC has also offered IRS for a long time. Then quads like the Grizz came out with IRS. Oops. What was everyone thinking? Now we've got to have IRS. How did we ever drive anywhere off road without IRS? So now everyone is jumping on the wagon and offering IRS in some form or another. Even Suzuki is once again offering IRS and "stuff" on their larger King Quad.

In a way, the companies are catering to the lazy Americans. Why shift a quad when you can just push a button and go? The straight axle is just too uncomfortable for the dainty men and woman of today. IRS is a must for people that have to have the best ride. People must have huge fenders to keep the mud off of them. Imagine getting muddy while riding an atv? How silly. People have to have floor boards to keep the outdoors off their dainty feet. Something might jump up and bite them. LOL.

IRS is not required and it also has it's own limitations. If people are afraid that they might tip over. They should learn to lean. Simple. I would suggest a light 4x4 machine with a low over all height.

People tend to over think everything. It doesn't have to be that hard.

Can you imagine if the people of yesterday that drove wagons across the mountains saw the "men" and woman of today. They would laugh and then cry.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Don't fret it. My cousin has a Rubicon, and it's low center of gravity makes up for the lack of IRS. The 'real' rock-hoppers insist on IRS, but keep in mind these guys drive places you probably wouldn't walk unless you had to.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you ever get to ride your buddies, hondas? The rincon has irs and his rubi doesnt, after riding them, it should let you know if you can ride without irs.
I think youll be happy with the rubi, especially an 05. The disk brakes and the Traxlox, are definet pluses over the older models.
Look at it this way, almost all truck 4x4s are solid rear axle, and they do just fine. The upside to solid, is once you hit the flat lands, they powerslide, and are more stable than the irs models. You wont hear anyone say a rubi feels tippy, and it doesnt do the pitching, when gassing and braking.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

Thanks again for the help. I really liked my buddy's Rincon but I did not like the idea that there was no low range. As I said in my first post (link above) the majority of hours to be put on the unit will be pulling a good sized mower through mud and about an inch of water, plowing snow or pulling a small utility trailer. I figured low range and the hydrostatic drive to be well wuited for those applications.

While I liked the Rincon - it seemed more sport oriented and less ultility capable, notwithstanding it's larger engine. Some of our riding will be used in and around deer hunting camp going up and down the mountain over mostly semi-maintained trails carting deer stands, rifles, deer and maybe dragging logs, blowdowns and what not.

The last, and smalled, portion of the riding will be light trail riding on dirt roads and the like. Even though I'm sure it it loads of fun, we're not looking for speed or the racer's edge in performance. Reliability has to be number one!

So not it's set-in-stone; I will get the first olive '05 Rubicon that comes in to my local dealership with or without GPS (makes no never-mind to me.)

While I was up there I picked up an '05 Rancher!

Thanks again for all your help guys - you're goign to put me in the friggen poor house! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good luck with your new quads. How long until the Rubi is supposed to come in? How do you like the Rancher?

I don't think the Honda GPS is all that great. You'd probably be better off buying a GPS unit and then mount it on the bars. Then you could carry it with you if you are walking. I bought a Garmin a few months ago and wish I would have bought it sooner.

Quick Reply: Just when I thought I had this all figured out!%^@^$@&*(