Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinking of buying modified 400ex...but im very skeptical...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying modified 400ex...but im very skeptical...

First off, i will say now that i am very brand loyal to suzuki...but i am also very open to trying other brands. I am selling my Quadracer as of now mainly because i want a newer 4 stroke for racing. I love the speed and handling of it, but when it comes to mx racing, its just not up to par and i dont want to keep spending money to make it up to par. Also, the 2 stroke class around here died very quickly. So being loyal to suzuki, im looking for a z 400. As im looking, im starting to realize they are quite expensive, and the ones that are almost cheap enough are completely stock and not exactly in the best condition. So i start spreading a little and looking for a 400 ex, and i found they are in my price range, and are more set up for racing. I found ones for around 3000 that were somewhat modified, then i found one that is completely race ready for only 3400, and the guy said he was willing to come down to 3000. It has: +4 durablue axle, stock swingarm ( had extended lonestar but was sold separately ), stock rear shock, JD performance +2 a arms with white brothers shocks, Beadlock rims (look to be OMF) with holeshots all the way around, 440 kit, cam, fresh rebuild, stock carb, yoshi full pipe, and also fmf header with supertrapp pipe...not really sure whats all done to the engine but he said it was all done by a place called Whitehorse racing, and thats it is very powerful. It also comes with 2 sets of plastic, graphics, all stock parts, etc. The guy sent pictures and its in top condition, and he seems to be a trustworthy guy that actually took care of this thing. Now for my questions....
1- does this seem to be a good deal??

2- when i got my 250r, it was the fastest thing me or any of my friends have ever rode. ( friends have stock 400ex, and piped kfx 400 )...If i buy this 400, is it gonna be the fastest thing have ever rode, or what...with my quad the fastest thing i have ever rode, i dont know what its like to go any faster. I want to be VERY satisfied with the speed, and i dont want it anywhere near what my 250 is like. Will this thing be way faster than my 250??

3- Basically am i just gonna be satisfied?? I plan on racing mx next season, and i do some trails.

Please reply with your opinions, pro/cons, whatever...Thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

test drive?

Old 09-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

thats gonna be next sunday...neither of us have time, and he lives an hour away. Im just want to know what to expect...if i should expect how my 250 is, or if i should expect something a lot faster??

Old 09-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

no one at least wants to brag on how fast their 400 is...or what kind of quads they beat...or how good they handle?? haha, anyone??

Old 09-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I used to have a LT250R (my first sport quad) and set it up for flat track... It was a nice quad. I lowered it, put some tires and a sway bar on it and pretty much had it set up. When it came to race day, I got my butt handed to me. I probably raced it 4 times and didn't have a lot of luck. The bike was fast but it just didnt handle for racing. I ended up selling it and bought a 400ex. I bought some hoosiers, lowered it and put a sway bar on it. On my very first race I won 2 of my heat races and 1 of the mains and that was a totally stock engine. I was in total shock, I couldn't believe there would be that much difference. Speed wise I am sure the LT would beat the 400ex but handling was a total different thing and evidently makes a world of difference. Since that time I have done work to the engine (440 kit, 12.5:1 piston, web cam and corrello rod)and put some a-arms on the 400ex and this bike flys. I am sure now it would eat my LT for lunch. If you get the 400ex and it already is set up, you will love the way it rides and if he has the engine set up right, the power. One thing I caution though, is if he has a 440 kit in it and not a heavy duty rod, it could break. It happen to me unfortunetly with my first 440 motor. And if you ever need parts, there are alot more available on ebay. Anyway good luck, 400ex is an awesome quad and I am sure you will like it very much.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will get ur money's worth if that is what you are wanting. And if u can ride,I think the 440 will hold its own on local tracks.