Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2000, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kagey,
The real problem that I have with drum brakes is that they are POORLY SEALED.I have been riding ATVs [3 wheel and 4 wheel] since 1983.My local riding area has a TON of water/mud.I've seen first hand thru the yrs of mudding,that the drum style brakes [regardless of manufacturer]fill with debree,WAY TO OFTEN.I,like yourself,have taken many drums off quads and cleaned and adjusted the drum brakes.It is a pain in the a$$ to have to do this cleaning and removal of the drums after one afternoon in the mud.I completely agree with you,wet/improper adjusted drum brakes are about useless.===Bill

Old 08-28-2000, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to respond to the sealed brake issue involving the Rubicon. My son has approx 450 miles on his Rubicon now. He doesnt baby his equip,if theres a stream to cross or a mud hole in front of him he is in it. I ride a Kawaskai Bayou, great machine but, the drum brakes are the worst of the worst in design.The Honda Rubicon is a sealed brake unit where as the inferior drum set up that the Kawasaki bayou has. I can testify to the worthyness of the Honda product there has never been a drop of water come out of his drain hole. Where as the Kawasaki is a constant mess of draining water and cleaning the brake shoes. I am sold on the rubicons sealed brake drums.

Old 08-28-2000, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

It's very simple actually. If you have doubts about the Rubicon, don't buy it. Everyone has a different take of what "the perfect ATV" is. The fact of the matter is, no one makes that "perfect ATV". Folks normally buy whatever comes closest. For me, that was the Rubicon. It totally exceeds my expectations. I completely trust Honda to stand behind their products as they always have for me in the past...but that is me. I would suggest using the old tried and true method of ATV buying. Ride as many as you possibly can, and buy the one that you like the best.

Old 08-28-2000, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

There was a post last week in the Polaris forum basically stating that disk brakes just don't seem last as long when riding in the mud as do the properly sealed drum brakes.

Maybe our mud riding is different than others but I have yet to have a leak with them.

Its all choice. Both have there own 'advantages".

Old 08-28-2000, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Just my .02 on drum brakes. NEVER had brake problems on a Honda equipped with drum brakes - from the TRX125 to the Rancher(including a couple 300's). Did have drum brake problems with Kaw & Yamaha. So I think it's a matter of who's drum brakes you're referring to. They are not all created equal!!

Old 08-28-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I think Rubeman said it best in that no one makes the perfect ATV. If you dont like drums dont get them. Many of us have not had any problems with our drums. Whatever type of brakes you have just take care of them properly and they will work.

To actually help answer your question, I have been very happy with my Rubicon. Selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive would of been nice, but not certainly an issue that I would pass up this quad for. The Rubicon is very stable and has a low center of gravity. As far as the brakes go, the front disc brakes issue is not an arguement, you will still have drums on your quad. Are you planning to only use the front brakes? I have no idea what Semi-independant rear suspension even means. Is it independant or not?

Old 08-29-2000, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Do a search on "rubicon problems!!". That's where I got the information.

Old 08-29-2000, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

I really wish the whole "drum vs. disk" debate would stop popping up on every friggin' Rubicon post... it's getting really old. We all know the Ruby has drums, and the almighy SP (sarcasm intended) has disks, so DROP IT!

Old 08-30-2000, 06:49 AM
Range Rover

Interesting...I did a search on "Rubicon problems", and the only thing it pulled up was your post.

Old 08-30-2000, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RedorDead,
sorry you personally take offense to the drum vs disk brake issue.Some find drum style brakes useless[myself included]while others love them.We all have opionions,thats partially what these forums are intended for.

Some folks are even very loyal [Red or Dead=Honda]to there brand [sarcasm intended]but you dont see anyone asking you to change your name.Get my point?====Bill

Quick Reply: Rubicon Questions