Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon 250 es shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default recon 250 es shifting problem

i think it's on the front,left side. there's a slot screw with a nut over it. it usually has an arrow over it. you hold a screwdriver on the slot screw and loosen the nut. then turn THE SCREW to the left until you first feel slight resistance. Turn the screw back to the right 1/4 of a turn and lock the nut without moving the set screw.

don't know about the angle sensor/oil, i thot it was just mounted on the side. did you clean the connection on the angle sensor side aswell?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is honda approved, but when i cleaned the connections i stood the bike up on its rear wheels, which allowed me to work at chest level. Make sure you turn off the gas at the tank, some may leak out of carb bowl though. After putting bike back on all wheels, i let it set for a while before starting to let oil resettle where it belongs. It worked for me but it is up to you!

good luck

Old 01-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Napatore,

When you took off the sensor was any oil on the sensor?

Confusedbuyer thanks for the advice, yes I cleaned both sensor, housing and ecm but I still get the error. I will check the clutch adjustment and advise.

I ordered the sensor and seal from Ronnies for $35, hopefully I will get it by this weekend.

I will try to empty the gas and stand it on it's back. I had to take off the inside fender to reach the sensor what I pain!!

I guess it could be worse if my Yamaha had to tow this Honda hihi. By the way we were 25 miles from the truck in the middle of the Arizona desert when it started misbehaving....

Thanks for the help,
Marco Polo

Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did not take the sensor out, but i would assume that if the bike is on its rear wheels no oil could leak out, if i have any further problems i plan on replacing the sensor, might even buy one and keep it in the tool area, i too get far from civilization when riding.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil will not run out when the sensor is removed

If you stand the unit on its tail, turn off the fuel, drain the carb, plug the fuel cap overflow, and block off the crankcase breather hose to the airbox ( oil may run into the airbox )

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

Where is the ECU located and also the Angle sensor ?

Old 01-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ecu is located in front of bike, behind grill, has rubber cover and 2 wiring harness going into it , the boot will just slide off the two frame holders, angle sensor is located on the front of the crankcase on the right side, (looking at front of bike) it is covered by a steel protective plate held on by 2 bolts(you will see it to the right of waht looks like a starter solenoid)

Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm wondering where this post is myself?

thanks!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have tried cleaning the harness at both the angle sensor and the ecm. i also used dialectric grease. i even cleared the code sucessfully. but now i can't get the shifter switches to do anything. anybody got anything that might help?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Trailblazer

Check with the dealer, I know they had a recal on the sensor's I replaced mine and it went bad and replaced it again. Then I gat a recal and applied for a refund. Honda finaly realized they had a problem.

Quick Reply: recon 250 es shifting problem