Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon 250 es shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recon 250 es shifting problem

i also had the same problem so i took off the ecu and blew it out with the air compressor and cleaned it really good put it back on and the light was still blinking.so i then took off the angel sensor....it was very dirty and had rust dirt etc.all over it i cleaned it the best i could with brake clean and put it back together and the light is still blinking..needless to say i took it to the dealership to let them deal with it so when i get it back ill let you know what it was.

thanks.........xxhondareconxx

Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Having some problems as well with my ES

I need help as well. Couldn't figure out how to post a question so here I am lol. I have an 05 recon Es. I bought the quad with the Es not working and the previous owner did not tell my why it didn't work. He said the computer fried in it but I'm not sure. It got stuck in 5th gear. I pulled the front right cover off and turned out a gear broke off. I replaced and thinking it would make the Es work but still nothing. Any help?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the es works using a shift motor that looks similar to a starter that shifts the gears for you. I bet most of the time that's what goes out when the es stops working. I've seen the aftermarket part for under $100 on Amazon. I had a Rancher 350 ES before and it worked fine but I looked up the part just in case. That was a couple years ago so maybe the price is up slightly though.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know this is an old thread but for anyone having shifting issues I'll tell you my story I have an 01 250 ES that had the 3 blinking lights and it only happened occasionally then after riding for 10 minutes one night it happened again and I decided to tap the shifter with a pipe wrench (it was close by) so it started working again just enough for me to shift all the way to 5th and back down to 2nd then got stuck so I pulled in the shop and started dismantling, pulled the shifter and angle sensor cleaned sensor and added dielectric grease to harness and sensor itself and disassembled the shifter motor only to find out it has brushes and a magnet all the way around the case so I doused the armature with electric parts cleaner found some chipping pieces of magnet lodged in everything and cleaned all of that out then fought with the brushes and armature for what felt like an eternity but finally got it back together smeared more grease on things resembled and now PROBLEM SOLVED it shifts better than ever so for anyone interested DON'T EVER HIT THE SHIFTER WITH AN OBJECT, YOU RUN THE CHANCE OF DESTROYING THE MAGNETS IN THE CASE, but if anyone plans on trying this have an extra set of hands for putting the armature back while holding the brushes back, good luck everyone. Oh and for anyone who doesn't know the shift motor is at the front of the motor on the right side if your sitting on the quad looks just like a starter motor. You are actually supposed to pull the motor with the gear assembly behind it so you don't throw off any of the gears so I may have gotten lucky there.