Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

99 450 ES Neutral Light problem (won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 450 ES Neutral Light problem (won't start)

If anyone has any experience with Neutral light problems or the computer not recognizing that the 4wheeler is in Neutral please help!!!

My 4wheeler had been sitting for about 6 months so I got it out replaced the battery, changed oil, and cleaned the sparkplug, and it was running good after about 5 minutes of keeping it running. So I decided it would be best for it to ride it for a hour or so. It was running really good just like it should so I went riding with some boys took it through a few good holes got it nice and dirty then decided it was time to head back.. Well the electic shift decided to stop working so I got out my tool and shifted manually and parked it for the night.

Now the electric shift is working I can shift into 1st, R, etc but when I put it in Neutral the computer does not recognize that its in Neutral. The gear indicator just shows --- instead of N and the N light does not come on.. Due to this The 4wheeler will not start at all I tried to pull it off and roll it off but the computer will not allow the engine to fire. If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me things to check please let me know. I have searched and did not find much on this specific topic..

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you get it into 4th and have another quad pull you, it should bump start.
Hows the battery doing? Holding a charge?
Try doing the clutch adjustment. The nut and screw are on the forward side of the motor. Loosen the nut, and go ccw with the screw. lightly, until you feel resistance. Go 1/4 turn cw, from there, and snug up the nut, being careful to not change the screws adjustment.
Check the connectors, pull them apart, and look to see if they are dry and not corrorded or wet. Put dielectic grease on them and put them back together.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to bump start it but not in 4th gear I did not think it really made a difference what gear I tried 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and the motor appear'd to not be getting any spark and woulden't run on its own. (I assume due to the neutral problem)

I also replaced the battery and it has a good charge no problems there.

I diden't adjust the clutch because the tranny is shifting good and I was afraid to mess that up..

I did disconnect some connections, and checked all main fuses and there are no problems there.

Is there any specific connections that would definately affect the neutral system if dirty etc? Or do you think I should just start checking all connections I can find and clean them?

Nate

Old 10-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Come on guys, does anyone know of a specific wire or connector that controls the neutral light/lcd?????

I'm gonna work on it this weekend and don't have a tech book for it, just thought somone might of been through this already..
thanks

Old 10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

wiring harness
Heres a wiring picture, try the lowest connectors first. Where its most likely for water to get into. Try shifting, with the lever into nuetral. Pull the spark plug out, and hook it back up to the wire. Hold it against the motor, and have someone pull the rope starter. You should get spark. Not having a nuetral light just stops the starter from spinning, it wont stop spark.
Because of the way gearing and mechanical advantage works, its much easier to bump start in 5th or 4th.
can you get reverse light to come on?
theres a bracket on the frame, just back of the rope pull. Pull the lower right side cover off. theres a small 4 pin connect there. (along with 3 other connectors)pull it apart, and between the light green/with red stripe wire, and ground should have conntinuity, when in nuetral. this checks the switch.
could the nuetral light bulb be burned out?
to do a full check on the switch, there are 49 checks. I doubt the switch , is the problem. When you put the new battery in, and went for the drive, did the neutral light work then? Its just after the puddles that it quit?

Old 10-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Neutral/reverse switch check- switch mounted in alt. cover.

Locate the wiring connector from the reverse and neutral switches under the rear fender.
Connect one lead of an ohmeter to a good ground and the other lead to the terminal for the switch function being tested (light green wire for neutral, gray wire for reverse)
When the transmission is in neutral, the ohmeter should read 0 ohms between the ground- in any other gear, the meter should read infinite resistance.
When the transmission is in reverse, the ohmeter should read 0 ohms between the reverse switch and ground- in any other gear, the meter should read infinite resistance.
If the switch doesn't check out, replace it.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help guys. Im going to work on it this weekend and try all suggestions it has to be one of the above??? I will update you guys on Monday prolly..

The reverse light does come on when I shift into reverse and the lcd recognizes when its in reverse and 1st+ just not when in neutral.

Also the neutral light worked fine and the lsd recognized it as being in N before riding it, it did not start having the problem until after I put it through some mud... (I think one of the connections that controls the N light/lcd has mud caked in it somewhere causing the problem.. I just doubt that I burnt the switch up that easy)

I'll update you guys after I work on it this weekend...

Old 10-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the quad is in the neutral position (with light out), will it free wheel?

Just for the heck of it. Have you checked the position of the kill switch? I've had my switch moved just enough to drive me crazy wondering why it wouldn't start. It may look like it's in the center and be off a tiny bit.

Have you checked the neutral light bulb? I've had those little light bulbs burn out on my other quads.

Hopefully it's something simple like mud on a connection. If the neutral connector is under the rear fender then it's a good possibility.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah the quad will actually go into neutral and can roll with no problem so the tranny is allowing it to go into neutral..

Yeah I tried the kill switch several times so its not causing any problems..

Im gonna check the neutral light bulb also to see if it is blowed... I'll check it after I check the neutral switch under the right rear fender.. so yeah its a good possability that one of the connectors has mud in it..

thanks!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,
I worked on the 450 Sat for a little while but was kinda discusted that nothing easy turned out to be the problem..

I checked all electrical connections on the quad I unplugged blew out with the air hose and made sure all connections had good contact.

I checked for spark on it when pulling the pull start cord and it does not have any spark what so ever...

Made sure I checked all fuses/relays all good...

Unplugged computer and blew it out with the air hose and reinstalled...

I did not have a oam meter to check the neutral/reverse swithc, but I was told that this being bad would not stop the engine from sparking only from turning over...

So Ive concluded the following

the bike does shift
the neutral light will not turn on
the reverse light does come on
the lcd says --- instead of N
battery is brand new
getting no spark
checked all electrical connections no mud
checked all fuses/relay's

cliff notes..
quad ran fine until went through mud for a few hours then would not shift so I parked it overnight.. and the next day the computer will not recognize it as being in neutral, even though it is..

What are the chances that it is a computer problem??? The computer on this bike was replaced about 2 years because it stopped shifting and something else happened... I can't remember because it was in a shop out of state..

Quick Reply: 99 450 ES Neutral Light problem (won't start)