Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex rear baffle and spark arrester chrome bolt on thing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've heard both, the stock pipe wo/the SA just has that edge on it. Where they may both put out the same dB level if you actually measured them, the stock pipe (esp when you get on it) has that rasp that just really annoys folks, the White Bros does not (unless it doesn't have any discs). Personally I am making the sacrifice of running a stock pipe for this exact reason - if the exhaust manufacturers would step up to the plate and develop a pipe that is reasonably quite and offers a HP gain (esp for a modified engine), I'd buy one in an instant. Until then, I will make other mods to the bike - as I've said before, I have outrun piped bikes with my quiet bike at the races - loud does not always = power.

You also have a lot better chance of moving your powerband around with an aftermarket pipe than by simply removing your SA, why be loud unnecessarily? Heck some of the guys even at the track are asked to muffle it or go home...

ps. Although there may be some french in me, no, you pretty much just heard most of my French vocabulary .

Old 09-02-2000, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I took out the S/A on my stock pipe once just to hear it, and it sounds like a$$. A real blatty sound, like the pressure wave slapping that lip at the end of the muffler.

Also, if you look inside the muffler, you will see the TRUE restriction, a >1" core. It don't matter how free you make the end of the muffler, it's still gotta breathe through that tiny 1" core, which means you MIGHT gain .1hp by removing the S/A, which isn't worth the risk of starting a fire (especially if you've noticed all the huge forest fires we've had up here in the northwest). If you want a little meatier sound, take your airbox lid off, it sounds a little meatier that way. Otherwise, do it right, and wait to buy an aftermarket silencer.