Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

When to Change Gear Case Oil and Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to Change Gear Case Oil and Spark Plug

I have had my Honda Rancher for about a year and a half now. Should I be doing these things pretty soon?

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great article about oil:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Please, don't tell us that you have NEVER changed your oil for 1.5 years! Does it still have the original oil from when you bought it? If so, sell the bike NOW! You will have greatly reduced your engines lifespan!

Well, you really don't have a "gear case" as such. Your engine and transmission share the SAME OIL, and that is why you need to CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN! In my Ranchers, I never go more than 20 hrs. without an oil and oil filter change (10 hrs. in my 400's, and 2-5 hrs. in the 450). I know the owners manual says every 100 hrs., but that is ridiculous! Honda has a vested interest in showing that their machines are "low maintenance", so they are going to state the longest period possible. I recommend Honda GN4 oil for the Rancher. Don't use Honda HP4, it will make your clutch slip.

You should change the hypoid oil in your differentials once a year, too.

I change my spark plug, every time I change oil.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

The only thing I haven't changed is the spark plug since I bought it. I have had it for almost two yrs now.
I should probably change it right away. Will it make a difference if I change it, even though it still starts right away and runs good with the original spark plug?

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

time for a tune-up

Old 11-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Red Rider

Spark plugs are cheap, and so easy to change on the Rancher (not like on a water cooled engine!), I change mine EVERY OIL CHANGE. That is, less than 20 hrs.

Now that I think of it, by "Gear Case Oil", did you mean the rear end and the front differential???? I change those once a year.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
(not like on a water cooled engine!)
why would it be hard to chnage on a water cooled? mines water cooled and have no problem

Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Red Rider

On water cooled, the plug tends to be way down deep in there, although the 400EX is in there pretty far too. Honda's transverse mounted engines (all the utilities and the 250EX) have the plug sticking out the side, and it is oh so easy to change.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: unhappyperson
The only thing I haven't changed is the spark plug since I bought it. I have had it for almost two yrs now.
I should probably change it right away. Will it make a difference if I change it, even though it still starts right away and runs good with the original spark plug?

Thanks.
I've changed plugs under similar circumstances to what you're saying, and it made ZERO noticeable difference. good luck trying to convince me why this is needed as frequently as each oil change...... on a four stroke.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Red Rider

I certainly don't think it is necessary to change plugs at every oil change! I just do it because it is easy to keep track of that way. I guess I remember the old 2-stroke days to well, when we had to change fouled plugs twice a day! The 450R has very expensive irridium plugs, so not sure what I am going to do there???????

Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

boy, do those 2-strokes ever go thru plugs. i just put the irridium plug in the LT80. BUT.... everyone says the reason for using the irridium is that it's supposed to last 4X longer, so in the end it should be cheaper. I dunno, mine was $12 with taxes.

Quick Reply: When to Change Gear Case Oil and Spark Plug