Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Foreman handling problems cured!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Foreman handling problems cured!!

I purchased my first four wheel drive atv a couple of months ago, and it has been a nightmare nearly. I had the bigfoot kit with 26 inch ITP 589 M/S tires installed at the dealer..Riding this atv was a handful from day one. Extremely heavy steering even in the 2wd mode..super bad in the 4wd mode. Trail riding in ruts the sides lugs of the tire would bite into the ground and jerk the handle bars right out of your hands and next thing you knew you were upside down or either on its side. I didnt know if the tires were the problem, or maybe just the extra width of the ITP wheels. I gambled and sold the mud tires a couple of nights ago and purchased a new bigfoot 26inch kit with the ITP mudlite tires. Darned near a miracle! In 2wd drive it handles as well as my old 2wd rancher. Feels like power steering. In 4wd drive it is ten times better than it was. Just got home from a 6 hour ride through the mountain trails of south carolina and it was like riding a whole different machine..Lesson learned, Never buy more tire than you need for your riding needs. The ITP 589's sure look mean, and believe me they were! Sure they were unstoppable in mud, but you have to ride hard ground to get there..for all round riding conditions, try the Mudlites! Unreal the difference.!!! Thanks for listening. I hope this helps someone else.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Triplestroker, glad to hear all is better for you. Your threads of been of interest to me because I am planning to get a bigfoot kit for my Rubicon and was seriously considering the 589's. I mainly use the Rubi for work around the farm here in Indiana and plan to start pushing snow with it this winter. I am anxious to hear how your mudlites do in varioius conditions. Anyway, glad it worked out for you.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

HEH DAN. YES, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE MUDLITES. I AM HOPING FOR SNOW HERE THIS WINTER SO I CAN TRY THEM OUT IN THE SNOW AS WELL. WITH THE 589 TIRES I HAD NOT FOUND A MUD HOLE THAT WOULD STOP THE FOREMAN..YESTERDAY I HIT ONE THAT WAS TO THE TOP OF THE TIRES DEEP AND ABOUT ALL BLUE CLAY. I BOGGED IN IT AND GOT STUCK. AFTER ROCKING IT FROM SIDE TO SIDE AND FINALLY ROCKING THE BARS BACK AND FORTH AT THE SAME TIME, IT CAME RIGHT OUT WITH THE MUDLITES. I AM SURE THE 589'S WOULD HAVE GONE RIGHT THROUGH IT..IF PLOWING AND SNOW IS THE MAIN THING YOU ARE GONNA DO YOU WILL LIKE THE 589'S. IF YOU TRAIL RIDE TOO, I THINK YOU ARE GONNA FIND THE MUDLITES SO MUCH EASIER TO HANDLE. MY ARMS WOULD BE SO PUMPED UP AFTER ABOUT TWO HOURS OF TRAIL RIDING I COULDNT HARDLY RIDE ANY MORE, AND THE DAY AFTER I WAS REAL SORE. WITH THE MUDLITES WE RODE 6 HOURS AND RAN OUT OF DAYLIGHT AND ALMOST OUT OF GASOLINE. I WASNT TIRED THEN AND AM READY TO GO AGAIN TODAY..I AM 48 SO THATS GOOD!! HA HA..GOOD LUCK. IF YOU TRY THEM , YOU'LL LIKE EM!