Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Opinion on Rancher AT vs. Yahama 450 Kodiak 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004 | 12:34 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Opinion on Rancher AT vs. Yahama 450 Kodiak 4x4

I'm looking at buying a new Honda Racher AT (TRX400FA) or a Yahama Kodiak 450 4x4. I'll be using the ATV for trailriding (some in lots of mud), snow plowing, and chores around the yard. I really don't care about top end speed. I've studied the features of both machines very closely and they match up well. I've owned an '87 Honday Fourtrax and it's been an extremely reliable machine but I'm due for an upgrade. I've heard and feel Honda is hard to beat for reliability but actually like the looks and features of the Yahama slightly better. I'm concerned and really don't know what Yahama's reliability is like. Price is close enough together that it's not a factor in my decision. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2004 | 12:52 AM

The Yamaha Kodiak now has an independent rear suspension (IRS).........HUGE advantage. I also believe that the Yamaha has a liquid cooled engine. I almost bought a Rancher AT 400 this past summer because of the "Honda reliability". At that time the Kodiak 450 did not have IRS so I didn't consider it to have any great advantage feature-wise other than a more advanced engine. But now with the IRS I think the Yamaha has a very distinct advantage over the Rancher AT.

Yamaha reliabilty has been just fine.............Honda reliabilty is second to none.

Good Luck, Bob

Old 12-03-2004 | 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

i own a 2004 rancher 400 auto, forget about using it for work, if you hook on to a load to heavy you cant even get the tires to spin

Old 12-03-2004 | 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

This is a little off-topic for the thread, but...

Bucky,

I have the same bike (400FA) without GPS.

I have to wonder though...while working with a big load why would you want to spin the tires?

I just want the load to move and keep it under control? However, at deer camp this year I was pulling 10" diameter logs 6 to 8 feet long with no problems (and the tires would spin). I ran the chain up over the rear rack to load the rear end and keep the front of the logs from digging.

Old 12-03-2004 | 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

MY POINT WAS, IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE POWER OR TRANSMISSION TO EVEN SPIN THE TIRES UNDER LOAD, MY BUDDY ALSO HAS FOUND THE SAME THING HAPPENED, WHEN CLIMBING A VERY STEEP HILL HE HAD TO STOP AND COULD NOT GET STARTED AGAIN

Old 12-03-2004 | 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

The locking front diff on the Kodiak will get you out of messes for which the Rancher will need a winch. However, if you plan on towing or carrying heavy loads, the IRS on the Kodiak is actually a disadvantage, as IRS bikes tend to "squat" under heavy loads.

Old 12-03-2004 | 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

I see, Bucky.

Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. I seem to have plenty of power. However, maybe we aren't testing our machines the same way.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] What type and size tires you run?

To summarize, I love my Rancher AT. The SRA can be a hindrance, clearance wise, but under heavy loads is nice. Two nieghbors have 04 Polaris S600's and they would like to have a solid rear occasionally (mostly when they watch me powerslide or do donuts) - they struggle due to the IRS. What's nice is if I want to cruise I do so in Auto, if I want to get silly I can go manual by flipping a switch.

I can't comment because I never have looked at it. About all I compared to was Sportsman's when buying (nice but too heavy).

The Rancher AT is not the best at anything, but it sure is good at a lot things. A very good combination between fun and work in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2004 | 06:26 PM

Whoops......made a mistake.......see below.

Old 12-03-2004 | 06:33 PM

Originally posted by: 700cc
The locking front diff on the Kodiak will get you out of messes for which the Rancher will need a winch. However, if you plan on towing or carrying heavy loads, the IRS on the Kodiak is actually a disadvantage, as IRS bikes tend to "squat" under heavy loads.

Is that why every manufacturer uses IRS on their top-of-line utility machines???.......including more just released........because it is a disadvantage???.........I think not.

Bob

Old 12-03-2004 | 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

The 400 honda is geared to high, totaly useless for real work. IFS is a also DISADVANTAGE for real work. My Rubicon is geared to high, even in low range. People who think otherwise are wrong.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Rancher AT vs. Yahama 450 Kodiak 4x4