Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher vs. Trailboss

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000 | 01:13 PM
|
Trailblazer

I am thinking about buying a rancher and was just wondering how it compares to a polaris trailboss. I know about the reliability issue so you don't need to go into that. I would just like to know about the suspension, acceleration, top speed, ride quality, compared to the trailboss. I have it narrowed down between a rancher and a 300ex, but I already know how that compares to the trailboss. I ride on the San Jacinto river so there is plenty of sand, mud, water, and hard ground. Thanks for any replies.

Old 09-08-2000 | 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

There's no comparison.

OK, seriously, they are vastly different. The TrailBoss is a "recreational" quad -- its just nice to ride. It has much less power and other capabilities than the Rancher.

I tested both when I went shopping for a second ATV. The one thing that stood out about the TrailBoss was its size -- it has the dimensions and feel of a full size quad. Despite its 325 power plant, a full sized adult can feel comfortable riding it. Plus the automatic makes it easy for a novice to handle.

I also found the Rancher very easy to handle -- much easier than the 450ES which tends to steer a little hard (and wide). But its actually a few inches bigger than the Foreman 450 and I just couldn't fit them both on my trailer. Plus for about a $1000 less, the Recon filled my requirements.

Old 09-08-2000 | 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with the previous poster. I own a tboss and ride with a Rancher. They are very different quads. The tboss is a fun trail riding machine, but is not meant for any serious work. It will tow, but its hard on the belt drive. The best you can do is ride both and decide what is best for you. The tboss is not an overly powerful machine in stock form, but about $400 worth of mods will really wake it up. As for mudding goes, it does pretty good. I really like the stock titan 489's. They are a good aggressive tire. I think the Ranchers (correct me if I'm wrong) come with Bridgestone's stock. I haven't been impressed with these as a mud tire. They are not very aggressive. I would not weigh this much as this is an easy fix to some aftermarket tires. I picked my tboss up for $3,300. I am not sure how much a Rancher is going for around here. Have you considered the Recon yet. I nice quad. I bit smaller than the Rancher, but still a nice quad. Either way you go, both are great quads.

Old 09-09-2000 | 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

There is a big differance in price.The T boss cost the same as a Recon and much less than a Rancher.

Old 09-09-2000 | 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Go Rancher!!!! You won't be sorry!!!!

Old 09-09-2000 | 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

I bought me wife a Trailboss, and she gets smoked by all the foremans and sportsmans that we ride with. (I of course lead the pack on my 400EX)

It is remarkably easy to ride, and definately reliable, but if you want to step up to the plate, or need 4WD, get the rancher. Just a much more "fun" quad to ride.

On a Trailboss, it's not like you can gear down, and do a power slide. Plus my wife has to run it right to the bar to keep up with us, and that sucks her gas tank dry.

Old 09-10-2000 | 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Really the two are in different catagories, but the Rancher is the much better bike. You can get her a 4wd or a 2wd model. Top speed 50-51mph, plenty fast.

Old 09-10-2000 | 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

I like the T-boss, but I would go for the Rancher if you got the extra cash. Both are good machines, just in different classes. The T-boss is an entry level machine, with an entry level price. But it is a good entry level machine. While the Rancher is a bit more upscale...kinda middle class, with a middle class price.

Old 09-10-2000 | 12:50 PM
Range Rover

Rancher vs trailboss? what the hell!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! hahahahahahahh nice shoot out!

Old 09-13-2000 | 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

O' BELIEVE ME YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!!!
FOR ONE THE RANCHER COST MORE, IN MY OPINION TOO MUCH FOR A 2X4.

LISTEN IN2ATVN I OWN A POLARIS AND THAT SPELLS RELIABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT FORGET THE TRAILBOSS, GET A SCRAMBLER!!!!!! YOU WOULD'NT BELIEVE THE PULLING POWER. I PULLED MY BRONCO II THAT HAD A DEAD BATTERY BACK TO MY HOUSE (1 MILE RANGE) ON A DIRT ROAD WITHOUT A HIT OF SLIPPAGE OR BELT BURNING.

BUY POLARIS AND RIDE THE BEST!!!!!!!

2000 POLARIS SCRAMBLER 400 2X4(850LB PULLING CAP.)

SCRAMDADDY400

Quick Reply: Rancher vs. Trailboss