Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX runs horrible in snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX runs horrible in snow.

might you have water in your oil? Change your oil more often, especially if you are not running your air box lid. Not saying this is your problem for sure but just good for you motor. Also taking your air box rid off requires rejetting.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I know that of coarse I rejetted. The problem was it was over heating from gettin stuck and it revving it high at low speeds.

Old 12-26-2004, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

Use the outerwear, it iwillhelp keep from you filter icing up from the snow going through the snorkel. My 400 does the same thing. Going good until Ihet the big snow banks and drifts and the snow is flying all over. It dont seem like a bunch of snow can fly down that snorkel but it does. Just the misty snow can make a diffrence as it goes through the filter. This is what I found out with my bike anyway.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: URCRAZY
Use the outerwear, it iwillhelp keep from you filter icing up from the snow going through the snorkel. My 400 does the same thing. Going good until Ihet the big snow banks and drifts and the snow is flying all over. It dont seem like a bunch of snow can fly down that snorkel but it does. Just the misty snow can make a diffrence as it goes through the filter. This is what I found out with my bike anyway.
Thats what I was thinking because it started to happend when I was running into big drifts and spraying snow everywhere especaily my w/ my front tires. Yeah I didn't think alot of snow could get in there because its a small opening covered by the body and it sideways. But it does make sense.

Old 12-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Wheelie, if you want the most input from as many people as possible you might want to try and not reply with a "snotty" answer to someone that is trying to help you. My only point was that you said you put your air box lid back on. I was just reminding you to rejet for that if you might have forgotten to jet back to your old jetting. Sometimes people don't remember small details that can make a big difference.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WheelieKing
Thats what I was thinking because it started to happend when I was running into big drifts and spraying snow everywhere especaily my w/ my front tires. Yeah I didn't think alot of snow could get in there because its a small opening covered by the body and it sideways. But it does make sense.
what was "snotty " about that? he just replyed.

good topic with useful info, now i know for my ex, being its snowing here as i type this. thanks guys.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. The outerwear will work a little. You still will get some snow but not as much. Maybe once in awhile stop and clean the snow out of the filter box. I had about 2 inches of snow in my box the last time I went riding. I am thinking about cutting my lid and putting an outawear with velcro on the lid to keep the snow from comming through the top. I have the aluminum air box with the battery and everything else in it, so it is cramped.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Thanks. The outerwear will work a little. You still will get some snow but not as much. Maybe once in awhile stop and clean the snow out of the filter box. I had about 2 inches of snow in my box the last time I went riding. I am thinking about cutting my lid and putting an outawear with velcro on the lid to keep the snow from comming through the top. I have the aluminum air box with the battery and everything else in it, so it is cramped.
i have an outerwear that fits over the opening on my airbox (with lid removed)

im sure you can get em for a 400ex,,,or make one

Old 12-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Dunefool, I didn't mean anything in a snotty way I just wanted to tell you that I rejetted. Then I just told everybody what the problem was. Sorry if you felt that I reacted snotty but that was in know way meant to be said that way, I guess its hard to tell tones of voice over typing.