Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005 | 08:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Tranny Issue

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I have an 01 Rubicion and I had the oil pump replaced, new piston and rings and bacically the whole top end of the engine rebuilt after a little incident with deep mudhole. I now have the problem of the D1, D2 and the ESP flashing on the display and if you move the shifter to reverse and give it gas it will start flooding out. The electronic shift doesn't work either. Does anyone know what might be wrong??? Is there a sensor out or what??? I need a little help or advice.

Old 01-05-2005 | 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tranny Issue

Looks like you have a few choices here, one is to take it to your dealer, or try to diagnose it yourself. If you want to attempt to DIY, I might be able to help. Your ECM is in 'limp mode'. There may be a few things you can do. Check the connections to your ECM. Look under the rear fender from the right reer fenderwell. Above the tool box is where it is at. try unplugging the connectors and reconnecting them. If you can't get them unplugged, simply try to push them in. If you hear a click, you prolly found the problem ( loose connector ). I feel kinda lazy, do a search or rummage around my posts, I have typed the procedure in here quite a few times how to initialize the ECM. Try to initialize the unit. If it still is in limp in mode, check the angle sensor connector, It is on the left side of the engine below the exhaist pipe where it runs past the cylinder. If it is bad, fix the problem and initialize the unit. Another thing you can check is to remove the shift control motor ( left front of the engine ). Remove the bolts holding it on. Remove the motor. Inside the hole you pulled the motor out of, there is a gear. The gear should be movable both ways. If it is not, try to move it with the end of a standard blade screwdriver ( don't force it ). If it is slightly stuck, or will move one way and not the other, the angle sensor run the swash plate to its end and is bad or the bearings on the swash plate shaft are bad. The bearings are part of the tranny assembly, so lets hope not. If the gear was stuck, turn the gear like 7 or 10 times with the screwdrider, the oppesite way it was stuck. Reinstall the shift control motor and initialize the unit. If it cures the problem for a short time, then does it again, the angle sensor is prolly shot. Replace it and initialize the unit again.
Honestly, I think you have a bad ECM, but I will normally check these problems stated above first. Twice I have taken bad ECMs and banged them on the bench, reinstalled, and they worked. I replaced them with new units of coarse, but I just had to see if it worked, LOL. Good luck !!

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-06-2005 | 02:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Tranny Issue

I could not get the ECM to reset or clear the codes. I took the shift control motor out and the gear inside would rock back and forth. The motor was not getting any fire at all. I put the motor back in and actuated it witha battery and that worked fine,but as soon as you plug it into the bike nothing happens. Is there a bench test I can do on the angle sensor? This sensor had alot of crude on it after the mudhole incident. I can go through the set up sequence another guy sent me and the "N" and "--" would flash on the display five times and then go back to the D1,D2,ESP flashing and the "--" would flash also. If I just turn the key on without pushing anything the D1,D2, ESP with flashand not the "N" and "--" as stated above. Am I doing something wrong in the set-up sequence? I need you help again.

Old 01-06-2005 | 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Default Tranny Issue

Oh man, here I was kicking back with a cold one after dinner, glowing in the report earlier this afternoon from the dealer that my '05 Rubicon would likely be in next week and then I read this post - what a downer.

I generally hate electronically controlled anything and fear the invisible - like electricity and all those little techno-goin's ons that make electric shifting and what not work.

Best of luck to you and hope you get running right soon!

Old 01-06-2005 | 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tranny Issue

Here are the proceedures:

Check for codes -
Key in off position, shifter in neutral, depress and hold both up and downshift buttons at the same time
While holding them in, turn the key on
Let off both shift buttons, and depress both again at the same time, and hold for 2 seconds or more. "--" on the display will blink, count them for the code, the system will display 2 codes at a time
If the "N" is dispalyed on the meter, the process was not performed properly, start over with the unit in neutral, and the key switch off...

Erase Codes -
While the flashing code "--" is displayed, depress and hold both shift buttons
The ECM will store 9 codes, displaying 2 during one retrieval, from the last to the first.
When all codes are erased, the display will flash the "--" on for 3 seconds then off for 2 seconds, on for 3 seconds then off for 2 seconds, repeating over end over.

Initializing the ECM -
Let the unit idle for 30 seconds in neutral
select D1 on the mode switch
Move the shifter into D and check for D on the meter
Ride ahead slow about 5 feet
Shift into neutral
Turn off the key
Depress and hold both shift switches
Turn on the key ( after the key is on, the folowing has to be done within 5 seconds )
Release the switches
Press the upshift button, press the downshift button, press the upshift button, open the throttle all the way and release it. ( up, down, up, throttle )
If done properly, the shift motor will operate 3 times, and when completed, the "N" will be displayed on the meter.

Codes -
1 Ignition pulse generator system
2 Speed sensor system
3 Gear position switch
4 Throttle sensor system
5 Angle sensor system ( Motor lock )
6 Angle sensor system ( Swash plate angle )
7 ESP shift switch system
8 ECM Eprom
9 ECM voltage converter system
10 ECM fail safe relay circut
11 ECM motor driver
12 ECM CPU
If the codes are not retrievable, you'll have to get a hold of me or your local Honda dealer
Gear position switch, Shift switch, have no codes, because when these switches are bad codes cannot be retrieved
So the ECM will not detect Gear position switch, mode select switch, or instrument meter problems

If you have no spark, the unit must not be "seeing" that is in neutral, note, the unit can be started in gear if the brake is held, I can't recall if both or just the front, but you will not ride far this way as the unit normally will go into 'Limp in' mode.
Let me see if I have any of my angle sensor notes laying around, cause I don't have a manual in front of me, I am at home.
I will update if I find any here, You can check your connector at the angle sensor for power on one wire, and between the prongs inside the angle sensor there are specs for each gear position. Take a digital multimeter and check between the terminals in different gears is all I can offer right now. Do not use an analog meter checking the wire harness back to the ECM, it may harm it, Digital won't. When you checked if the shift motor spun, did it spin both directions if you reversed the power leads ? If the angle sensor was removed, was it preloaded properly upon instalation ? Once you get the system working again, let me suggest that you spray all the connectors, after they are installed, with an automotive ignition sealer.
If there were any Legends Car races going on down there, I would swing down and race one and look at your unit, just to get a break from this -40 degree weather we have here, right now, LOL

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-07-2005 | 03:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Tranny Issue

The motor was fine it spun both ways. It worked when we placed it back in and put power to it manually or with a battery. It just can't get the codes to erase. I go through the set up and the "N" along with the "--" flashes and then it starts flashing the "--", D1, D2,and ESP. I am at a loss right now and I don't want to buy a $98.00 angle sensor if it is not bad. Could you send me your direct e-mail address. Mine is darrell.poss@tenneco-automotive.com. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 01-08-2005 | 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tranny Issue

Mine is

gimpster@gcentral.com

Too bad we are so far apart, I have a test ECM and angle sensor in my tool box

----- Gregg -----