Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

make the 400ex quicker

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default make the 400ex quicker

i have essentially all the bolt ons possible. i am thinking about going with crank work but i am wanting power in 3rd-5th gears primarily. i realize the strokers are known for torque. i reall don't know what i need to do. i currently have fcr, x-6, rev box, filter, aggressive port job, 426, cam, etc. i am not sure what company to go with either. i am not looking to spend more than a grand for the work. i realize i will probably need a new piston and rod along with crank work if i mess with the bottom end. also, i want to stay at 11:1 compression because i want good reliability. also, i mainly drag race and awesome low end power or trail riding isn't that important. suggestions would be great.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Range Rover

well if ur gonna lookin into a new crank to get that installed its a good 450-500$ unless u do the work urself

Old 01-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

I really don't have no suggestions other than going stroker. Btw, are you running a stock clutch?

Old 01-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

What kind of pipe are you running?

DWT

Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

he's running a sparks x-6.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya know possibly raising the gearing either by adding a tooth or two to the front sprocket or dropping one or two in the rear could help since you mainly drag race. all that will do is raise your top speed but also lower your low-end power. it just all depends on what you want to sacrifice.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well, If I were you I would go for the bore first and then the stroker crank. Take it up to 440 than with a good stoker you can go to 460. A good piston with that is the new JE 12:1 superlight 440 piston. You can also lighten the flywheel, get bigger valves, and there are a lot better cam out there now too. ... the list goes on and on.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

If you are drag racing stay away from the stroker. It revs slower than stock.

I just got bad news on my stroker,also. I have the powroll 440 stroker. It is 87x74. It felt light on power so I had it pulled down. It has about 2 years on it. Alot of racing and not very maby easy miles. Anyway the cylinder was scuffed, so it was bored. I already had an 88mm wiseco, so that was going in. I was told it had a shortened rod so any piston would fit.

The rod is stock. Only that special piston fits. They offer no over sizes. I have a cylinder I can not put a piston in, it sucks. I don't know what will happen, time will tell.

Long story short, be careful with getting a stroker. It has torque, but might be one time use.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TractorPacker
If you are drag racing stay away from the stroker. It revs slower than stock.

I just got bad news on my stroker,also. I have the powroll 440 stroker. It is 87x74. It felt light on power so I had it pulled down. It has about 2 years on it. Alot of racing and not very maby easy miles. Anyway the cylinder was scuffed, so it was bored. I already had an 88mm wiseco, so that was going in. I was told it had a shortened rod so any piston would fit.

The rod is stock. Only that special piston fits. They offer no over sizes. I have a cylinder I can not put a piston in, it sucks. I don't know what will happen, time will tell.

Long story short, be careful with getting a stroker. It has torque, but might be one time use.
There are different kits by Powroll. I dont know anything about the 87mm BORE, +4mm STROKE, 11.5:1 COMPRESSION kit. Thats the only stroker kit they make that uses the stock rod.

The kit I have is the 4.0mm STROKER WITH POWROLL ‘TOUGH ROD and takes my 440 bore to 460. That kit by Powroll is very good. I dont work for them, and I dont sell thier product. But my race mechanic has put 4 in and all are alive and well for nearly 18 months so far. Further, as far as the piston is concerned with that kit, there are skirt modifications that need to be done if you dont use thier piston. If you cant do that, then find someone who can or buy thier piston - its as simple as that.

Like I suggested earlier, start with a 440 bore, and then stroke that. The sky wont fall if you do!

Also, the stoker alone is a stupid thing to get without the other parts that make it come alive.

1) Web 463/9i cam
2) Good carb
3) Lightened Flywheel
4) JE Superlight piston
5) Race Head

Those mods will make her rev fast, and you'll still have thundering low end!

Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I liked it till last week. I checked their website and read about both kits. Somewhere between them and my guy, $35 was saved and I didn't get the shorter rod. I don't mean to dis on powroll because I loved that torque, but a the thought of a new sleeve sucks. Or I could split teh cases and the crank to get the new rod but that would be $$. I have came up with a solution but It involves my wifes stock sleeve. She gets a 426 for free and I'm gona spend about 135 on getting mine running again, with the same 87x 74.

Quick Reply: make the 400ex quicker