Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor "BREAK in MYThs"

Originally posted by: blindside350
Originally posted by: 2fun
Originally posted by: Semms40oz
I've always broke my motors in fast using a method like that in maddogs link, just one question.... that article only mentioned "all 4-stroke" motors, so is it still good to break in 2-strokes the same way?
That is a VERY good question.
I would ASSUME that the same would apply, but have not put this to the test, nor have I seen anyone post about doing it like this.
I E-mailed Motoman (the author of the article in Maddogs post) about this several months ago, but never got a reply from him.
Perhaps someone else could try to contact him with this question?
I would have to disagree with you 2fun. As you know 4 strokes have a constant supply of lube to keep it going. While 2 strokes depend on gas to lub it properly. But when your running a 2 stroke fast for a long period of time, the oil won't lubricate as well due to its igniting so fast. Thus that is why it is so common that 2 strokes burn up...Improper lubrication. It doens't make sense to me to run it full on a 2 stroke but i agree don't baby it completly.
On a side note...I'll be using that method as soon as we rebuild the yfz.

Ok maddog whats your opinions on 2 stroke break in?
Hmm......
Not sure if I agree with these statements. But thats ok. Debate is good as long as it doesn't turn to petty argument and name calling! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

As far as the lube issue, a 2-stroke gets plenty of lube at the higher RPMs. It is at these upper RPMs that the fuel mixture is suspended instead of staying in the crank case. That is why after idling for awhile, and you rev the bike, it will smoke as you have suspended the excess fuel and oil in the crank so that it can become pulled up into the cylinder and burned.
The key is to use a good oil, mixed at the proper Ratio, and correctly jetted.
A properly jetted, 2-stroke with a proper oil/fuel mixture should never sieze at full throttle unless parts are out of tolerance, or one is not getting air to the radiator/cooling fins.

As far as RPMs go, my YFZ is spinning at about 11 grand, and the 250R is at about 9 grand.

Also, the key for proper break-in is NOT high RPM, but instead, loading the motor/rings so that they are forced outward, and wear into the cylinder. High RPMs with no motor load (such as just keeping it pinned in a gear) will not help the wearing in process. You must load the motor.

What I did with the YFZ was basically to "drag race" it over and over from either a dead stop, or while rolling in 2nd gear.
Pin the throttle, but as soon as the RPMs get up there, quickly shift again so that the motor is loaded.

I continued to do this till I was at top speed where I then allowed the motor compression to slow me down. I did this till I was back down to 2nd, or 1st gear, and did it all over again.

RPM is not important for break-in. Load on the motor and rings is.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

2stroke rc car motors run upto 30,000rpm.

i also think 2strokes dont run at higher rpm due to airflow issues, not because of lubrication. i might be wrong but that is what i think.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Fine i'm done debating , but i still stand by what i say. Especially where i ride (Oregan Dunes). Its fine just on the dunes but when you hit the beach (supposed and i agree) there is so much more oxygen available to the engine, thus making the bike run hotter, so as a rule of thumb in our group we ride with, take it easy, unless you have a 4 stroke or have money to rebuild it But i don't thinks its going to matter anymore to me anyway were selling all our 2 strokes soon...

Old 01-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blindside350
Fine i'm done debating , but i still stand by what i say. Especially where i ride (Oregan Dunes). Its fine just on the dunes but when you hit the beach (supposed and i agree) there is so much more oxygen available to the engine, thus making the bike run hotter, so as a rule of thumb in our group we ride with, take it easy, unless you have a 4 stroke or have money to rebuild it But i don't thinks its going to matter anymore to me anyway were selling all our 2 strokes soon...
Its ok to debate bro. Thats where good info comes from.
Anyway, yes, there is more Oxygen at the Coast, because you are at sea level where atmospheric pressure is the greatest. This is why you must re-jet for whatever elevation you are at. Bigger jets for lower elevations, and smaller jets for higher elevations. What you are doing by re-jetting is always keeping the air to fuel ratio the same. If I remember correctly, it is somewhere around 14:1 ratio of air to fuel.

So regardless of elevation, IF you are properly jetted, there should be no issue.
Now, having said that, the sand WILL cause your motor to work harder, and generate more heat. THEREFORE, you may want to jet a little richer to compensate. Most heat comes from overworking the motor along with lack of airflow to cool the motor radiator/fins.

Its ok bro, there is a LOT of good info being exchanged here! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I just read that whole link! It took me all evening! Hmm I might be buying some JB weld.....

Old 01-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ixRAZORxi
I just read that whole link! It took me all evening! Hmm I might be buying some JB weld.....
If I had access to a dyno, I would be. Unfortunately I dont and prices for dyno time are expensive not to mention the closest one is still far away from me.

I spent hours reading every page on that website, really changed the way I thought about engines and taught me things I never knew.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: ixRAZORxi
If I had access to a dyno, I would be. Unfortunately I dont and prices for dyno time are expensive not to mention the closest one is still far away from me.

I spent hours reading every page on that website, really changed the way I thought about engines and taught me things I never knew.
Same here. Eventually, after I get out of college, I'd like to buy a dyno and set it up. I'd run my own tests to see which pipe, etc actually DOES make the most H.P., etc!
Maybe start up my own magazine with true results! Now THAT would be cool!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

The moto tune website is right on the money with the break in i got broke my DS that way and it makes good power i am having to run bigger jets than recomended for my set up to keep it going in gas so it must be breathing well, And my oil seems to stay clean for a long time.

2fun
Start your own mag just try not to fall victim to the power of the advertising dollar. If you can keep it real you will get my subscription,
which currently goes to dirtwheels that are in turn sponsered by Yamaha. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blue250r

2fun
Start your own mag just try not to fall victim to the power of the advertising dollar. If you can keep it real you will get my subscription,
which currently goes to dirtwheels that are in turn sponsered by Yamaha. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Cool! I've got one subscription already!! LOL!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

J/K bro. If that ever WERE to happen, it'd be a LONG ways off, though I seriously HAVE toyed with the idea, as I have a strong science background, actually could afford a dyno (once I graduate) and hate biased reviews! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well i hope you go for it if you do i will get you some readers in the UK Then you can advertise youself as an intenational publication [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New motor "BREAK in MYThs"