Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Suspicious email about my classified ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspicious email about my classified ad

Hi all,

I had put my ATV up for sale online recently and I received this e-mail. I'm inclined not to reply as why would someone from Austraila want to buy my ATV in MN? The senders address looks real but, I really think it's a hoax and they just want to verify my e-mail address. What do you think. Has any one else heard of this type of scam if it is a scam...

Thanks

Hello
I am writing to respond to your online advert for the sale of Honda Rubicon 2001, Please I will like more details about it and do me a favour of including a pics of it, if its still available for sale.
Hoping to hear back from you asap.

Regards,

Walker (Australia)

Old 01-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

i dont think so, just chat with him to find out if hes serious...

Old 01-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% of the time any offers from people out of the country are attempted scams.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

it probably doesnt pay for him ot have your atv packaged and shipped all the way there . for that cost, plus the cost of your bike, he could buy a new or used one there.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There really isn't enough info yet to tell. There was a scam going around where people were saying that they were from other countries. They send you a bad check allowing a little extra money for shipping. They would want you to cash the bad check and give/send the extra amount (for shipping) to a third person. The check bounces and you're responsible for the amount cashed and you're out a minimum of the extra amount sent to the 3rd person.

Who knows what people are up to? It could be a kid that doesn't have a clue about anything. It could be someone looking for pictures of quads to hold false auctions on ebay. It could be a scam. Is it really worth the hastle? I like to let the buyer come to me. Everything sells sooner or later.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Not
Every one overseas is out to rip you off , but a lot are, I would not let the bike go until the cash is in your bank and clear and the bank has said that its definitly cleared not just clear for spending as aparently the two are not always the same.
Let the guy know that and if he loses interest he was a fraud

As for worth it Its cheaper for me to buy machines in the US and have them shipped to the Uk than it is to by them here
crazey though it seems, Dont know about Australia though there is a guy called 1prokiwi on the bomb forum that is in Newzealand
He might be able to tell you.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

welcome to the internet.
99.99% of the time, its a scam. Think about it...would you buy a atv sight unseen? why would someone else? It costs about 400 bucks to ship a atv to GA from MN....its gotta cost at least twice that for aust. Why is it..he cant find one cheaper in aust?
They send a check, which looks real...you deposit it, wait for 5 days and figure its good, so you ship. 25 days later, the check is found to be no good. now the bank demands you return the money, AND youre out a quad.
If you decide to do this, demand cash only, and american...otherwise no sale.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like my suspicions turned out to be correct. A simple google search of his e-mail address walker_bernie@yahoo.com.au turned up
this little tidbit.

http://antiscammer.com/check_scam/?e...e@yahoo.com.au

Not sure what the scam is exactly, but this is one person that will not his victim.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

Dude,
You could have some fun with this guy by making him go to all the trouble and then just keep stalling, like telling him your getting the bike ready and all an blah blah blah, then tell him something like you had to leave for a 3 stooges convention all of a sudden or something. Gee I must have too much free time on my hands!

Old 01-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

More than likly its a scam, if he is serousie enought have him come and ride it and give you the $ and then ship it out to him

Quick Reply: Suspicious email about my classified ad