Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda foreman, suzuki vinson, yamaha kodiak ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda foreman, suzuki vinson, yamaha kodiak ?

We ride in Northern WI, mostly on trails. I've had a Honda 300EX which is fun on trails but only 2 wheel drive. Since some of the best riding involves going through some serious mudholes - I want to move up to a 4X4. The three ATVs in the title are the ones I've narrowed it down to. the bulk of my riding will be on trails...some narrow and winding, some hilly and muddy. I don't really see myself doing much real work on it, only play time.

Given that type of riding, which of the three would be the best? Weight, and price about the same I see. How about speed, handling etc. Quality? Dependability? Thanks. Dave. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Foreman will be the slowest of the 3. Foreman uses gears instead of belt drive technology. i think the Vini comes with low range. make sure you get a Kody with the low range tranny. Suzuki is my #3 choice, just cuz my Suzuki experiences have been expensive and always in need of repair. I have a 450 Kody and my cousin has 450 Foreman. they're both great quads. i think i like the gears and shifting on his better than my auto/belt drive.I don't like having to stop to shift into low range, cuz it's usually too late by then. Kody you can get diff lock, but it's not the end of the world to not have it. I'd say which ever one you can get the best deal on.. cuz they're all good. the Kody may be cheaper than a Foreman, in used. if $$ is no object..... hmmmm, maybe the Foreman.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have any knowlege or experience about the Vinson but can comment based upon having an '03 Kodiak for a while and not owning two Hondas (a Rancher and a Rubicon) which are either wise of the Foreman. Moreover, the Rubicon is a very close cousin of the Foreman.

The Kodiak offers many feature for the price and mine was a very capable trail and work machine. Now, with the addition of IRS (mine was SRA) I think it will be an even better trail machine although at the possible expense of some work cpabilities. But, Sounds like you are more into trail riding than work anyway. But, like so many other non-Hondas, it's a belt. I do not like belts given the stream crossings I do and also it always felt as tough the engine had to strain and rev too much to get the darned thing going. After talking with other Kodiak owners, I found out that it was just the way they are. The Kodiak, especially with IRS, sounds like a good machine for your type of riding.

Honda, what can I say, love or leave 'em. The fit and finish of the two Hondas in my garage has it all over the Yamaha and, IMHO, everything else. The reliability and durability reputations of Honda are well known and, important to me anyways, NO BELT!

If you want the most performance and/or features for the dollar, Honda may not be the way to go. Remember, I did like my Kodiak, even though it had a belt. If you want reliability and long term durability along with fit/finish quality and a good resale value - then Honda seems to be the way to go.

I'm not saying that Hindas are not without their hiccups, particularly with electronis, shifting and what not, but deserved or not they enjoy a rugged reputation.

Happy hunting and happy wheeling!