Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

i feel stupid, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i feel stupid, please help!

Originally posted by: Tyson150
I just got done cleaning the airbox so i was puting the bolts on that hold it to the subframe. And i was screwing the bolts on using a socket wrench, well i tightened it to much and the screw broke. Which isnt a big deal, but it broke of and some of the screw is still in the subframe. i have no clue how to get it out, im taking my ex into the shop to get new tires put on and i was wondering if they could get it out? im going to zip tie it for now. i hate myself. thanks
I have had success (assuming the bolt is not rusted and went in easily) using a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to just carve a small flat groove in the top of the screw. You can then use a flat-head screwdriver to back the screw out enough to grab it with a pair of vise-grips.

Using this method, you must be careful to only groove the broken bolt, and not the subframe.

It's another option that I've used on many occasions...

-ET

Old 01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

thanks...

Old 01-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with the guy and dremel tool. But another option is a left handed drill bit. they are just like a regular bit except drill in reverse. I'm not sure where to get them but we have used them many times at work with great results. while drilling the bit will usaully grab the screw and back it right out of the hole. Good luck. If you are interested in where to get these I can ask at work.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Ive never had luck with EZ outs. They usually break off in the hole, then they are harder'n'hell to drill back out....Tried many different brands and they all have broken....
Dont be afraid to use heat!!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

i got the screw out today. thanks for the help everyone!

Old 01-30-2005, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what method did you use?

Old 01-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
what method did you use?

what i did was i drilled it in a little, i kinda made a little ridge and slowly got it out with a screwdriver. where can i get a replacement screw for it? would a hardware store have them?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

Well if you didn't damage any of the threads, hardward store should have it. Or like said before, get a bolt smaller then the hole and a couple washers and a nut and just stick the bolt straight thro then put the nut underneath and you got an easy and perminate fix, as long as your not concerned how it looks.

But any hardware store should carry that bolt. I'm pretty sure it'd be metric? I never had to take that off on mine. So I can't help you there.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
Polaris500 is on to something. you could also get an "easy-out". it's designed for this exact situation. you drill a small hole in the centre of the broken bolt (the size of the easy out will tell you what size drill bit to use). hammer the easy-out in the drilled hole, then put vice grips on the easy out and back it out. the easy-out has sorta-threads that dig in when you back out, and grab the bolt.

IF.. you try to drill out the whole bolt using a drill bit almost the size of the bolt/hole, you'll have an almost impossible time keeping it straight, AND i always end up damaging the original threads, which means tapping it out a size bigger. and if you are successful, how do you get the remaining metal out of the threads? it's never worked for me.
yeah one of those, i use them all the time, and don't use a drill bit even close to the size of the bolt or you'll destroy the threads and then if you don't have a bigger sized tap you'll be paying for one or be paying the shop a pile of money to do a tiny little job

Old 01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Tyson150

what i did was i drilled it in a little, i kinda made a little ridge and slowly got it out with a screwdriver. where can i get a replacement screw for it? would a hardware store have them?
should be an M6 or M8 bolt. 10mm socket/head is an M6 i think.

Quick Reply: i feel stupid, please help!