Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

i feel stupid, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i feel stupid, please help!

I just got done cleaning the airbox so i was puting the bolts on that hold it to the subframe. And i was screwing the bolts on using a socket wrench, well i tightened it to much and the screw broke. Which isnt a big deal, but it broke of and some of the screw is still in the subframe. i have no clue how to get it out, im taking my ex into the shop to get new tires put on and i was wondering if they could get it out? im going to zip tie it for now. i hate myself. thanks

Old 01-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

yea, they have to drill it out.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

If there is enough of the screw above the sub frame, grab it with a vise grip and back it out. If there's not enough of the screw remaining then you'll have to drill it out.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

ya it doesnt stick out far enough. so you think the shop can get it out?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Originally posted by: dinaps
If there is enough of the screw above the sub frame, grab it with a vise grip and back it out. If there's not enough of the screw remaining then you'll have to drill it out.
I happend to me once, and I did what dinaps just wrote.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Tyson150
ya it doesnt stick out far enough. so you think the shop can get it out?
They can definately drill it out especially for the 60 dollar an hour fee. It's not hard if you want to do it yourself. Grab your drill and a drill bit that is roughly the same size as the hole. Put a small piece of tape over the whole to protect the paint on the subframe from chipping, and drill straight through the screw. You can then use a bolt, washer, and nut to hold the airbox to the subframe or you can retap the whole and use a screw again. Try it, if you chip the paint on the subframe, use a good quality touch up paint, (15 bucks and you'll have it for the next time you scuff up the frame while riding). Use a good quality drill bit and go slow. Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

If very much of it is stickin out of the bottom go up through that way, get on it with the visegrips and run it on down through the hole

Old 01-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

got the perfect fix do it yourself....

get the smallest drill bit u can find drill a hole in the middle of the screw and take an allen wrench tap it in the hole u just drilled and turn it out... u might need a pliers or vicegrip

Old 01-24-2005, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polaris500 is on to something. you could also get an "easy-out". it's designed for this exact situation. you drill a small hole in the centre of the broken bolt (the size of the easy out will tell you what size drill bit to use). hammer the easy-out in the drilled hole, then put vice grips on the easy out and back it out. the easy-out has sorta-threads that dig in when you back out, and grab the bolt.

IF.. you try to drill out the whole bolt using a drill bit almost the size of the bolt/hole, you'll have an almost impossible time keeping it straight, AND i always end up damaging the original threads, which means tapping it out a size bigger. and if you are successful, how do you get the remaining metal out of the threads? it's never worked for me.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:54 AM
Pro Rider

If you can get to the top of the bolt easily you can take a small center punch and put a decent mark on one side or the other of the bolt, you may have to hit the center punch a few times to get a good dimple on the bolt. then place the punch in the dimple and then angle the punch and tap it so that it backs out the bolt. If that doesnt work then an easy out is the next cheap way to attempt to get the bolt out. If there is a little amount of the bolt above the frame you can use a chisle instead of a punch to get a better grip on the bolt.

Quick Reply: i feel stupid, please help!