Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

warn 424 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warn 424 problem

I've had a warn 424 installed on my rubicon for 1 1/2 years. Last winter it popped out of 4 wheel drive a couple of times. This year it does it a lot. It does it when wheels are spinning in deep snow. It locks back in as soon as I let off the throttle. The adjustment is all the way in. Has anyone had similar problem?

Old 01-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Range Rover
Default warn 424 problem

I'm drawing a blank except to think that maybe it was run out of adjustment and the splines are worn. Is there any chatter or noises? If you get any info, especially from Warn directly, please post it here. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn 424 problem

There isn't any noise when it unlocks,just a click. It doesn't even make a noise when it locks. It has had the same adjustment since installed. The adjustment is all the way in so that **** has to be pulled all the way out to unlock. Thanks, I'll try to find out more from Warn but I thought people who ride and work on these things might have had a similar thing happen.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn 424 problem

muzzy let me ask a question, does the entire front end disengage? or does it start hopping up front?, ur saying silent my front end is starting to bang when getting hung up in the snow, but im not sure if thats the differential trying to grab and distrubt power, i can shift gears and usually it will stop doing it, not quite sure if i have a problem i just got the 424 this summer, i better not this damn thing is alot of money

Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn 424 problem

I'm certain it unlocks because I can look down an see shaft from engine turning but not the shaft to the front end. Again it makes no noise,I find that to be very strange!

Old 01-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default warn 424 problem

Sounds like the cable is bound up somewhere, almost like when the wheels are spinning in the snow, the driveshaft is rotating back a little from normal torque load position. Possable the way the cable is adjusted, and routed, that it may be causing this to happen. I haven't seen these units fail yet. Maybe the units mounting strap has come loose or stretched since the origional installation position and could be rotating far enough to cause tention on the cable, disengageing the drive.

Let us know what you find.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn 424 problem

muzzy is it the same click , that u hear when disengage the 4x4 with the shift cable?? gimpster has a point that ur coupler could be shifting sideways and pulling the cabling doing so, i can't see my problem hell my entire 424 is covered in snow, half the frame is frozen with ice, its 3 degree's today and my fan ran about 3 times, i need to thaw my bike out

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn 424 problem

I have considered that ,but the unit rotates upward toward where the cable comes from. I thought the cable would have to pull to unlock. I think I may reroute the cable anyway, its the easiest of things to try I guess. I think its interesting that you mentioned the touqe because its usaully under some strain when this happens. Does every body still have the original mounting strap or have they stretched? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn 424 problem

well i have the original strap, it was made of rubber i can't see it stretching much, mine doesn't really twist when i gun it anyway, but my front end hops, i have a feeling this is some kind of snow grabbing issue, it never unlocks though just bucks a bit, i have a feeling the cable is the problem, cus if it was the engagment splines in the 424, it prolly would never engage 4x4

Old 01-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn 424 problem

I found a 424 warn on Ebay for $220.00 includes shipping, A fellow has 90 of them.
Anybought one from ATV Direct?

Quick Reply: warn 424 problem