Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

440ex Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440ex Reliability

I need some honest opinions please. I'm looking for a Z400 OR 400EX. My uncle has a 400EX and I love it, muuch better than my Warrior. However, I'd need to be keeping up with a YFZ, so I'd be doing a 440 kit after getting the supporting mods. I know it's been suggested by many to get the Z for this application because of the reliability factor of liquid cooling and higher compression pistons. I'm asking all you 440 owners of your pros and cons of the kit on the EX. Has anyone had any reliability problems? I know I can get a 400EX cheaper used than a Z, and know I already like them. I know Honda made the EX air cooled for a reason, and it's been proven, etc. But they didn't necessarily make it for this type of modding. Who has installed an oil cooler set up? Did that help, and how difficult was it to do? Sorry for all the questions, but I definitely need to look into this before I buy a new quad. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 440 on my 400 before I sold it after 4 years of use. Watch the compression ratio, this has alot to do with how long it will last. I did the 11:1 with a full race cam. I had to mix my gas, half race gas/93 for it to run with out knotting. You must also have the studs replaced or the head gasket will not hold. The 400 engine is old style and Honda didn't make it to be bored out and hold. There are some real good buys out there on used ex's with alot of work done on them.
The Z is a better quad to work with, the frame is the weak link on this quad. You can make the engine run with the 450's, the ex will not.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

when you get a 400ex, you are getting the most reliable quad out there. when you start getting into heavy modifictions(440 kit etc) you almost automatically take that reliability and throw it out the window. if you want to keep up with yfz's then save some extra cash and get one. It will save you repair headaches down the road.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 years on mine and it doesn't show any signs of where. If you or anybody is interested I will be selling it and my CR for a newer dirtbike. Check my pics and PM me if interested.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

I have had my 99 400ex since they were still on the waiting list. After about 6 months I did the 440 kit. I run the 10.3.1 compression with no race gas at all only pump gas. In the Utah summers it runs very hot. mostly pinned at Sand mountain. I run normal oil and change it often. My quad really does not sit very long without being ridden yes even in the mud and snow.

I am actually in the process of collecting the parts to possibly rebuild my topend if needed since I will be tearing it down. There is nothing wrong with it I just want to check it out to be safe.

So in my opinion it will be very reliable if you take care of it.

Hope this helps.

DWT [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

400ex's come stock with an oil cooler system. How much are you looking into spending on a quad?

Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have a bunch of money, and I do not like being in debt. So... I'm looking to spend under $4000 for a quad. Preferably around $3000. I know I can find a Z for under $4k, but it's not easy to find around here. The EX's are more common because there are simply more of them. That's why I was hoping to hear some good things about them on here. That, and because I am comfortable on one. So I hear good and bad things, but it still seems the Z would be a better idea. However, I understand neither will have the stock reliability after boring it out. I'd like to save for a YFZ, but they're considerably more expensive than any of the 400's, and even more rare to find used at good prices. I still think I could keep up with the YFZ around the trails and a local mini track with a 400 and maybe a wider front end. Motox26, looks like a clean bike, but I'm in Central FL, that's too far for me! Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has any experiences or opinions, feel free to post.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

dont get me wrong I love my 400EX, its the young kids on these forums that bash them for being too slow. i think mine performs very well especially on the trails( i even used to ride a CR125). if you get a full exhaust, jet kit, new air filter and mod the airbox, you will really wake up the ex to the point you will be happy. All these people on this site who own 400ex cant be wrong. Just becasue it isnt the newest tech quad or the fastest doesnt mean it isnt one of the best all around. get aa used one then mod it accordingly youll be happy.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Range Rover

tprender you are badly mistaken about the 440 not running with the yfz's. Not only does mine run with them but it smokes them and I don't mean some I mean all. Unless you have a stroker in your yfz you don't have a chance. I run a 12 to 1 piston and have no heating probems even at temps of 90 and 100 degrees. strubby call Kenz in mesa az. and he can do a 426 kit that will keep up with the yfz's at a lot less cost. www.Kenzcycletech.com