Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon hondamatic problem or what ?? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon hondamatic problem or what ?? help

i have a 01' rubicon .you can put it in any gear d1,d2,esp and hold it back . it makes a noise like a gear or spline is striped . or not ingaged fully i took the motor apart and found nothing no shavings no where. check all wiring as in repair manual. ok witing to ck oil presure at local dealer ? anyone else heard of this type problem ?

Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last one I had do that, I ended up replacing the tranny, oil pump, and the rear bearing where the automatic unit mounts to the case.

There were some verry small shavings ( verry few ) in the crankcase, the oil resivour had barely any shavings in it, the oil pump rotors had 2 fine scores on them, and when the automatic unit was removed, there was a lot of shavings between the tranny and the rear case bearing. Had me fooled because I ran an oil pressure test and it was within spec. Even when I seperated the oil resivour I was doubtfull of tranny failure.

Not saying this is what is wrong with yours, but one example of what I found in a case that you described.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 02-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it could be a bad oil pump. Honda had a few 01s with oil pump problems. Check with your dealer, I have read and seen where Honda helps out with the repairs, even when it is 4 years old.

Use the search and do some homework. A little documentaion never hurt.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Specta, how many miles do you have on your Rubi now. Mine is an 01 and I have 4000 miles on it, what do you think of the 05 Rubi? There is still not a quad I would trade my 01 Rubi for its an amazing machine, especially that tranny.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

5000 miles and close to 600 hours. We are 100% satisfied. The only ATV on the market today I would trade for is a 2005 Rubicon, a red one. So far I have only spend $12 on repairs, left upper control arm bushings and seals.

The two things on the 05 that interest me the mosts is the bigger gas tank and the brake lights (because everyone is always behind us LOL).

When we reach 10,000 miles we will be buying a new one. Hope by then they have even a bigger gas tank. Range is important to us.

I the looks of the older ones better (besides it matches our Rancher). I think the racks are different to on the new ones?? That would not be good for us if they are smaller. We ride with two of us and also carry a Tamarack trunk. Disc brakes stop better but are not an advantage to me. The trax-lok is not a big deal either. It has never bothered me I can't switch betwee 2-wd and 4-wd. It was one of the things when we first started looking at ATV's that bugged us, but over the years it has not been an issue. I have done extensive off-roading in our 4-wd truck and thought switching to 2-4wd was important, but I do like never putting our ATV in or out of 4-wd. We are not much for "sport riding". Mostly mountainous trails in the Rocky Mountains. Not much speed, more tough trails than smooth riding trails.

I do wish I was in the position to buy a new 04 and just park it until ours gets tired. Too many other thing going on right now.

Enjoy your rides.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Specta how many miles and hours does your Rancher have? I'm saving my money so I can buy an 05 Rancher S 2x4.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

1200 miles and about 130 hours. it only got 200 miles put on it last year. we bought so our daughters could go riding with us but they didnt get out much last year. 600 of those miles were put on it in two trips to the Piaute trails.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm dealing with exactly the same issue same year too. Absolutly no shavings anywhere! My oil pressure is within specs. Any last minute news before I drop $2,500 down for an oil pump?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

see if the dealer will just take a look at it for little or no cost but first tell them your story about whats happening[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubidan ----

Check out the sight I linked below, go to Honda ATV, your year , model etc... and click on transmission ( under the engine section )
It shows the breakdown of the sub-transmission in the Rubicon. #4 and #8 ( shifter ) drums could be bad. I have seen the points on the ends get worn off from the manual hand shifter linkage being out of adjustment. It can cause the " crown " of the shifter to wear and also where it locks into the gear it slides into to engauge, become damaged.
If this drum or shifter assembly becomes damaged, the grinding noise will only happen in one of the gears, low high, or reverse.
In this parts diagram, you will see the main shaft ( #1 ) and a bearing ( # 22 ). These 2 parts are mounted into the backside of the rear crankcase half. The Hondamatic unit slips into the front of the rear crankcase half and the shaft of the unit slips inside the mainshaft. Sometimes when the Hondamatic unit fails, the shavings will become trapped between the Hondamatic unit and the bearing #22, trapped because of the way the components are mounted within the rear crankcase half. Not allowing shavings to make their way into the oil system.
If you dig around the site a little more you will find some oil screens inside the engine. One inside the front oul reservoir, that will catch some of the shavings that have escaped from where I described above. That is why I would suggest removing the oil reservoir and splitting it to see if there is any sign of shavings there. before condeming the Hondamatic unit as being bad

Microfiche link

----- Gimpster -----

Quick Reply: rubicon hondamatic problem or what ?? help