Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Were to hid a Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were to hid a Kill Switch

I had mine stole, no key in it . Had to be hot wired Were is a great location for a Kill switch.
Bought me another and want to keep it for awhile.. I know they want it they will get it.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you sure they started it up and drove it away? Most just put it in a truck and drive off, in which case a kill switch wont help.
A cheap and easy way to keep it from being started....pull the spark plug wire, put some paper or rubber foam ( those foam ear plugs work good), any thing like that, which is an insulater, and put it between the cap and the top of the spark plug...put the cap back on, and they wont take the time to troubleshoot it, when it doesnt start.
Something else which works good for keeping things from being stolen...out of sight is out of mind. Dont allow your quad to be seen ..., cover it up, park it inside,or behind a shed, and put a big lock and chain on it.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

It was locked up in my shed with a lock.. They stole in in the night, I live on 4 acres and they had a long way to push it. Unless they did drive up my drive way and back up to the shed. As little as I use it I took the wheels off it. Now have angle iron brace on both sides of door. I have a metal round pipe that slides in the angle across door to the other side angle with a cover over the lock. There is a round peice of steel in the round pipe. They saw the pipe in half the round will spin when they hit it.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

I would think the best place is under the seat. What kind of quad?

DWT

Old 02-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

I thought i posted that but I didn't.....03 Rancher 4x4

Old 02-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

Get a mean dog or at least one that barks.

I would bet they pushed it out since a running ATV would make noise that could alert someone. Noise is the thief's worst enemy. If they broke in, hiding a kill switch is the least of your worries. They're probably going to part it out anyway. You really need something to deter them. That was why I jokingly mentioned a dog. Otherwise, some type of alarm system is your best bet.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Put in a battery operated motion sensor with a loud piercing alarm. Guaranteed to get them to run the first time they break into the shed. If you already have a house alarm then wire it to that. This best thing about this solution is that you can set it up so they don't hear it so you can catch them in the act. Keep a nice hole dug somewhere away from your house so it is ready to go. :-)

Old 02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

id say hide it under the gas tank or inbetween the cover for the gas tank and the cover. u could also put it next to the carb or someplace where it blends in. or just pull a fuse out when ur not usin it. i dont think a kill switch will stop someone. id say chain it to somethin or lock it up somewhere. id run a chain threw all 4 tires and around the frame and stuff so they cant roll it. the loud alarm is a good idea to. id go with getting a germand sheperd tho.