Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

starting in gear rancher

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 08:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently tried the glbanks instructions for rigging a cheater switch to start my rancher es in any gear. i could not get it to work. i wired ground off of the light green-redstripe wire from the starter relay, and this is what happened. the machine acted like it did not want to start. i could go to neutral and it would start right up. after a few attempts it finally did start but the shift buttons were dead. i had to turn ot off and reset it before they would regain shift. has anyone else experienced this problem?? also when i pushed the cheater button i did not get a neutral light but the shift display would go to a flatline, when i let off the cheater button the shift display would come back.
surely with all the ranchers out there is someone who has figured out how to do it. help us all and share it please.....
rancher

Old 09-20-2000, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

i am reposting, to get this back up to the top, anyone with a wring diaram for the rancher, or know where i might find one?? it should be a simple solution as many of the 450's have done it with no problem. i did use a small button i bought from radio shack it was a 110 button but i think it should not make a differance. once again has anyone got it to work? any help would be appreciated.
rancher

Old 09-20-2000, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

I did not do this to mine but will try to help. I don't have an ES and mine is a Canadian version but there is a wiring diagram in the manual. Looking at the US version diagram power comes from the fuse to one side of the neutral light on Bl/Br. From the light it then goes out on Lg to the diode in the fuse box. Tapped off the Lg there is a Lg/R going to one side of the start magnetic switch. I don't think you need to know were that wire goes. From the fuse box there is a Lg/R from the other side of the diode. This Lg/R wire goes to the ignition control module. Tapped from this wire there is a Lg/R wire going to plug 2 on the gear position switch. The gear position switch is connected to ground so when you are in neutral the ground is made and the neutral light comes on. The Lg/R wire connected between the fuse box, ignition control module, and the gear position switch is were I would connect the cheater switch, with the other side to a good ground. I think by installing the switch on the other side of the diode to the start magnetic switch you do not provide a ground to the ignition control module. A diode will only let current flow in one direction so the path to ground for the ignition control module is not made.

I hope this helps. Like I said, I did not do it to mine but it should work. You did not say if the neutral light came on the way you had it hooked up. Let me know if this works for you. Looking at the wiring diagram for the Canadian version it looks like it will work the way you discribed. I would suspect the wiring is also different on the 450 that glbanks has.

Kevin

Old 09-21-2000, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the response, i am sending a more detailed e-mail to make sure i have got it right, thanks again for the come back.
rancher

Old 09-24-2000, 04:24 AM
Range Rover

to those who may have an interest, the es seems to have a differant wiring than the s models. after comparing it maybe impossible to wire a cheator switch on the es as that circuit seems to be wired through the cpu and the ecu, if you groung this wire there may be a possibility you could blow your computer. if i find a way to make it work i will let the forum know. if anyone has one working on an es i would be very interested to know how you did it. thanks
rancher