Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LRD or Sparks for my new 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 03:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently perchaced a 2001 400ex. All of my buddies that ride have all sorts of mods done to their bikes. We are headed to Pismo in a couple of weeks and I would at least like to have an exhaust so that I dont sound like a lawn mover compared to these guys. I have narrowed it down to LRD or Curtis Sparks. They both have the look that I am going for. If you have any info as to the price or any specs I would appriciate your input.

Old 09-20-2000, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

i work at a dealer and have been selling the yosh full system ...thats what i am going to put on mine....DIRTWHEELS has a article on the slipon and it gave the 400ex almost three full hp more than stock ...im pretty confident that the fullsystem will be 5 to 7 hp..plus add the white brothers revbox .. and the k/n filter ...

Old 09-20-2000, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless things have changed drastically, I think your trip will be a memory before you'd get a pipe from Curtis Sparks. His is a small shop and the turnaround time on orders is somewhat extended. He builds a great pipe, however, and I can tell you that is worth waiting for. I've had mine for about 2 years. I don't recall the price exactly..I think it was around $200. Check his web site for better info.

Old 09-20-2000, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

I've had the LRD pipe for about 1 year and its always a pleasure to ride my quad with that LRD sound!!! Arlan has said it gives you 3-4hp (thats complete system) and it sounds great!!!! I think he charges 364.00 with it being chrome. I would suggest to get it chromed because I've heard some negative feedback on the non-chromed exhaust. From here, its all you!! Let us know what you choose.

Old 09-21-2000, 12:29 PM
Range Rover

What are the bad things that you have heard about the non-crome? I myself prefer the non crome look, I think that it is just a bit to dressy for me. I would much rather look like a sleeper and be able to beat people rather than look like I am built and get my A$$ kicked! Le tme know the cons to the non-crome.

Old 09-21-2000, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

My buddy has the full Yosh and he loves it, but he has also mentioned that he he could he would like to run the new LRD or Curtis on his 400. For me unfortunatly right now its a money thing. I cant afford the full yosh exhaust and I wont just settle for a slip on. So that is why I have been looking into these two. Out of these two which do you think I should go with?

Old 09-21-2000, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

Cool deal, I appriciate the warning. I will check out his site later. That price is hard to beat, do you know if that was just a slip on or if it is a full system? Let me know.

Old 09-21-2000, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stallion19,
Because the Warrior header is so much larger, to begin with, few headers are available for it as the chief advantage would be cosmetic. On the Honda, however, it would be a definite improvement in airflow.
So, yes, the price I guessed at was for just the tail pipe w/Supertrapp silencer.
BTW, Curtis's pipes are, or were at least, nickel plated rather than chromed as chrome often becomes heat- discolored & turns blue. Mine is the same as new/

Old 09-21-2000, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

ya, I want to do a full exhaust. And the discoloring is not something that I nesicarily want to have on my bike so maybe this nickle would solve that problem, but that LRD does look pretty sweet uncromed?

Old 09-21-2000, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

I heard that not having it chromed, It rusts out faster. Some guy bought the pipe and said he wished it was chromed.

Quick Reply: LRD or Sparks for my new 400ex?