Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX TopSpeed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005 | 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

stock is 64 mine is 90sumptin modded heavily..

Old 08-11-2005 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

Cant believe this thread is still going [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I guess the various magazines that tested this model over and over for six years have to got something close to the real numbers in stock form if you look at what must be the average.

Seems most were reporting in the 62mph range with some as high as 66mph and some as low as 58mph.

Knowing that and from riding several different stocks one I have to think most will end up someware in that range unless there running really poorly or modded in some way.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 05 models have different gearing than the previous years. I dont know what if anything was changed internal but they do come with a 14th front sprocket that would add to the bottom end, but reduce the top speed.

Actually I dont think it really matters all that much anyhow since if your really needing a certain top speed for whatever reason you can achieve it in a couple different ways, and it wouldnt make much difference if it was 2 mph faster or slower off the showroom floor.

Another thing I have noticed is that on a basically stock machine with just intake and exhaust type mods the 05 seems to respond better in improved acceleration than the earlier models I have rode with similar mods, and I figure it was due to the smaller front sprocket. Does anyone know if there were any other changes in the model years that could have effected that?

Old 08-11-2005 | 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

I have never rode a 400EX but from what I've read many places I would say it goes 65 MPH

Old 02-26-2006 | 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

dude ds 650s suck what are they good for other then desert racing and they lack power for that and there to damn bulky i dont like a quad that sits that high either i like mine slammed in the weeds im 6 foot 5 i need a low center of gravity me personaly i got a 416 ex and i got the duncan fat boy 4 exhaust a fcr carb laegers +1 long travel a arms +1 roll design swing arm elka shocks itp shamrock bead lock wheels with 22 in holeshot hds in front and 20 in hds in the back and i have never ran in to a ds that could even hang with me or a raptor(junkter as me an most of my friends call um) the only other quads that hang with me or beat me are moded 450s and 250rs and z 400s oh and my cuz has a old ltz 500 and thats a bad **** but it dont stay running long enough to really call it beating me i wind up pulling him back every time we take him riding but any of those big *** quads like the raptor or the ds 650 or the kfx 700 they are to big to do anything with there handling is terrible they ride like brick out houses and they are slow so dont give me no nonsense about how they are all big and bad cuz my little out dated 416 ex has hurt alot of those big monstositys feeling and i love riding with those guys in tight windy trail hehehehe they wind up either ten min. behind me or rapped around a tree one of my best friends has a raptor he races motocross with its bored out has +3 long travels in the front and + 1 swing arm axis shocks and my little xc 416 hurt his feeling in his turf on his practice track the only thing i changed on mine when we rode there after the first lap i turned the compression adjustment on my shocks up 2 clicks my bike had hardly ever been on a moto x track so all you guys with those big *** quads who wanna talk trash name the time and place

Old 02-26-2006 | 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

oh and buy the way my 450r is almost done so when you really wanna ride with a real machine holla back lol
and i never really tryed to find out what the top speed on my 400 ex was i only rode it stock maybe once i know i had it over 70 and im 215 pounds i know my friends 05 450r was stock other then hrc power up kit and fat boy 4 exhaust we were neck and neck till 5th gear and pulled about a length and half in front but that was after mine was done but i really just replied to this cuz i seen the first page with all those dudes trash talkin real machines that they should give some respect to considering the guys who ride hondas all know that we get to pull alot of yellow and blue machines out of the woods lol

Old 02-26-2006 | 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

When mine was stock it was clocked at 72mph that was on the main rode. Whitch I was 13 so I was not very heavy probally around 130 to 140 pounds

Old 02-26-2006 | 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

Originally posted by: kevinb25
dude ds 650s suck what are they good for other then desert racing and they lack power for that and there to damn bulky i dont like a quad that sits that high either i like mine slammed in the weeds im 6 foot 5 i need a low center of gravity me personaly i got a 416 ex and i got the duncan fat boy 4 exhaust a fcr carb laegers +1 long travel a arms +1 roll design swing arm elka shocks itp shamrock bead lock wheels with 22 in holeshot hds in front and 20 in hds in the back and i have never ran in to a ds that could even hang with me or a raptor(junkter as me an most of my friends call um) the only other quads that hang with me or beat me are moded 450s and 250rs and z 400s oh and my cuz has a old ltz 500 and thats a bad **** but it dont stay running long enough to really call it beating me i wind up pulling him back every time we take him riding but any of those big *** quads like the raptor or the ds 650 or the kfx 700 they are to big to do anything with there handling is terrible they ride like brick out houses and they are slow so dont give me no nonsense about how they are all big and bad cuz my little out dated 416 ex has hurt alot of those big monstositys feeling and i love riding with those guys in tight windy trail hehehehe they wind up either ten min. behind me or rapped around a tree one of my best friends has a raptor he races motocross with its bored out has +3 long travels in the front and + 1 swing arm axis shocks and my little xc 416 hurt his feeling in his turf on his practice track the only thing i changed on mine when we rode there after the first lap i turned the compression adjustment on my shocks up 2 clicks my bike had hardly ever been on a moto x track so all you guys with those big *** quads who wanna talk trash name the time and place
Hey who's "dude" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Interesting how you worded your reply, and thanks for the laugh. Thing is I really was able to relate to the "rapped around a tree" thing because I remember teasing my friend that was why they called his machine a raptor. Guess since his showing off how fast his machine was in the woods only cost him a new frame and having to swap everything etc he shouldnt have minded that no one found him till we were lapping him that day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And there isnt any comparison to the ds650 as there really isnt anything they share besides being an atv. I had rode a friends that was worked pretty well (had one of the ron woods kits) and it was ok and I can appreciate the stock suspension travel etc, but I couldnt get off it quick enough.

I may have said this before but with the honest few times I have ever rode at near top speed with other riders to make any comparisons etc the little advantage any of the larger machines may have (actually the cannondales, banshees,raptors and regeared machines seem to hold a slight edge) on the almost never used top speeds is totally outshowded by the larger differences seen during typical riding and racing. I am still sticking with what I have a little longer!!

Old 02-27-2006 | 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

the way your talking i would be scared to let you ride my bicycle. if you gonna dog on the 400ex then you might as well go ahead and call honda **** because in my eyes the 400ex is one of or the best quad that ever came from honda!!!

Old 02-27-2006 | 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

Originally posted by: hondaguy13
the way your talking i would be scared to let you ride my bicycle. if you gonna dog on the 400ex then you might as well go ahead and call honda **** because in my eyes the 400ex is one of or the best quad that ever came from honda!!!

Maybe I am losing it, or there are posts that I am not seeing but this is the second post now that I have no idea who or what post it is referring to.

I know you posted just below my post, but I cant figure anyway that its related to it.

????????????????????????????????

Old 02-27-2006 | 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default 400EX TopSpeed?

Uhhhhhhh.......I think all they ds haters are comming out and bashing me maybe??? because of what i said bout it having to be pulled off a cliff by a ds? lol i was just joking and didnt mean it to **** off anyone but im sorry if it did. I was mainly responding to the guy who said YOU were all on crack because you couldnt get 73mph out of the 400ex's in stock form. A friend of mine has a midly modified 440ex and all i can say is the onlything i dont like about it is the size and suspension...and thats only because im a big guy. If all this is refering to me like kevinb25 was [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] sorry it offended you guys.

Quick Reply: 400EX TopSpeed?