Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rincon

Hello to everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My question is this, has anyone that owns a Rubicon, or a Rincon had any trouble with the decompression accentric on the camshaft. The symptom is a tapping noise like a loose rocker arm. Or it sounds like the engine needs a valve adjustment. I have this problem, I bought the extended warranty, Honda replaced the camshaft because the accentric is part of the cam. Not because the cam itself was bad. After so many RPM's the accentric is supposed to disengage, needles to say it didn't. When the noise started it was very faint, and only happened when the engine was cold. As the engine would warm up it would dissappear. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't go away at all. So I adjusted the valves, and nothing changed. I change my oil and filter every 20 to 25 hours. I use Amesoil 10/40. I brought it back to Honda because it started that noise again when it was cold. I didn't even use the 4wheeler at all. My Honda Dealer calls to ask me for my service records or receipts for oil because Honda (manufacturer) says they need something to go by, they claim they never had this problem with one of these engines. My Dealer also told me normal wear is not covered by the extended warranty, I could understand that. The noise that's coming from that engine is not normal wear. I feel like I'm being left out in the cold by my Dealer. If anyone has any input, or has heard of this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance
Straight8

Old 02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Honda Rincon

Sounds like you are dealing with Twiggs in Hagerstown md. I would ask to talk to there Honda rep.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda Rincon

Midget

What made you say, and I quote. "Sounds like your dealing with Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown MD"? I'm curious to know, you can send me a private reply if you wish.
Thanks

Straight8

Old 02-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Range Rover
Default Honda Rincon

Originally posted by: Straight8
Hello to everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My question is this, has anyone that owns a Rubicon, or a Rincon had any trouble with the decompression accentric on the camshaft. The symptom is a tapping noise like a loose rocker arm. Or it sounds like the engine needs a valve adjustment. I have this problem, I bought the extended warranty, Honda replaced the camshaft because the accentric is part of the cam. Not because the cam itself was bad. After so many RPM's the accentric is supposed to disengage, needles to say it didn't. When the noise started it was very faint, and only happened when the engine was cold. As the engine would warm up it would dissappear. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't go away at all. So I adjusted the valves, and nothing changed. I change my oil and filter every 20 to 25 hours. I use Amesoil 10/40. I brought it back to Honda because it started that noise again when it was cold. I didn't even use the 4wheeler at all. My Honda Dealer calls to ask me for my service records or receipts for oil because Honda (manufacturer) says they need something to go by, they claim they never had this problem with one of these engines. My Dealer also told me normal wear is not covered by the extended warranty, I could understand that. The noise that's coming from that engine is not normal wear. I feel like I'm being left out in the cold by my Dealer. If anyone has any input, or has heard of this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance
Straight8

I'm a little confused. Is the problem still present after the new camshaft was installed? If the sound you're hearing is sort of a loud rapping sound, the problem is the automatic cam chain tensioner. I have seen two Rincons with this problem, both with many hours on the engine.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda Rincon

ATVTech1

Yes, the noise is still there but not as loud. It keeps time with the RPM at an idle As soon as the engine starts to come to operating temperature, the noise starts to skip it's rhythm and slowly fades away. This is how it started before I brought it to Honda, in time the noise became louder and didn't go away at all, utill they replaced the camshaft. There is 1,991 Miles, and 350 Hours

Thanks for the reply

Straight8

Old 02-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Rincon

Yes...I've had some problem with this in regards to Rubicons. We've replaced cams on two different Rubicons because of decompressor related issues, both 04's. One was noise related, the other one was hard starting. I (and the techs I work with) have noticed a few others that are a bit noisy briefly after starting. A couple things...your oil is way too heavy. We've found Rincons HATE 10-40 until the weather warms up to summer temps. Try a 5-30, or better yet, Honda has a 0-30 oil formulated specifically for Rincons in cold weather. You can use til the weather gets hot and your Rincon will work much better. The other thing...it sounds like you haven't used your machine much since you got it back from the initial problem. Put a few hundred miles on it and see how it goes, it may in fact get better instead of worse. If the problem persists, don't worry about it, you've got the extended warranty and that's good as gold in Honda's eyes. HPP customers definitely get special treatment. As far as Honda not ever hearing about this problem...I've found that depends on what tech person you get when you call in. Believe me, they've heard of cam problems on Rincons (there's a problem with lobes wearing on some 03's), they just aren't used to hearing about decompressor issues in this regards. If the problem persists, gets worse, etc., be persistent. If you have to, call customer service and explain what's going on, don't neglect to tell them you have more than one Honda...that carries alot of weight.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda Rincon

One tech told me that HPP doesn't cover normal wear. I was planing on using Mobil 1 MX4T 10/40 Synthetic. I was using 10/40 Amseoil, I'm really not happy with it. I always liked Mobil 1 better, but it's so hard to get. I just finished using my last case of Amseoil. The Amseoil doesn't flow like the Mobil 1 does in the cold weather. I had two bottles of oil, one Amseoil, and the other Mobil 1. At + 5 degrees, the Mobil 1 MX4t 10/40 flows like Transmission fluid campared to the Amseoil 10/40 Synthetic
Motorcycle Oil. All I use in all my vehicles is Mobil 1 15/50, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Corolla, John Deere Lawn Mower, and Pressure Washer( Honda Engine ). except for the 4wheelers, I used(History) Amseoil. Give me some input on the Mobil 1 MX4T 10/40, My Rincon Shop Manual says, 20/w50 can be used from 32 degrees and up, and I'm sure they don't mean Synthetic either. The Shop Manual does say, do not use any oil that has a energy conserving lable on it either. Go figure??????

Thanks again

Straight8

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Rincon

Hmmm...that's strange. I'll have another look at work but I'm quite certain our shop manual recommends the 0-30 oil up to about 60F. I'm tellin' you, from a MN boy with lots of cold weather and Rincon experience, 10-40 is too heavy til the weather warms up to summer temps. They work much better with a lighter oil. I'd say 5-30 for occasional Winter and cooler weather use. And for the people that use them for ice fishing...the 0-30 Honda oil is the ticket. As far as the "don't use oil marked energy conserving", it's probably because of the clutch pack in the tran. Honda claims the additive package with this type of oil is hard on clutch plate material. That's a standard statement on all there vehicles with a wet type clutch of any sort. The mechanic who told you HPP doesn't cover normal wear is right, or maintainance for that matter. While HPP won't cover the wear on your tires or a valve clearance adjustment, excessive cam wear on a properly maintained machine, or a faulty or excessively noisy decompressor isn't normal wear.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Angry 04 Rincon cam

My 04 Rincon finally slipped the cam chain. It has always made noise, and now I have taken it apart and found the problem. My question Is the cam chain tensioner automatic? If you look inside it has a slot for a straight blade. Counterclockwise is to apply tension if you take it off and turn it. Mine was backed out all the way and appying 0 tension.The manual is VERY limited on adjusting the cam chain. How is it done and how do you know if the decompressor is working properly?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, the cam chain tensioner is automatic, and they have been known to go bad.

Quick Reply: Honda Rincon