Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Carb still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb still leaking

I've searched and found that it's usually the float being the problem with gas coming out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the carb. So I set it where the float would completely close the needle WAY early. Gas is still coming out of the overflow tube. Do ya'll have any other suggestions as to what I could try short of buying a new carb? This is on an '81 Honda ATC 200. I have pictures of the carb posted here . Maybe you can give me some insight by looking at the pictures?

Old 03-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

clean the carb, my rancher had massive problems with it, and replacing everything did nothing, 17 times i had the carburator apart, what finally fixed it was i open the drain valve, took off the main fuel line to the carb, stuch a air compressor clean off tool down the fuel inlet, where the fuel valve closes against and shot a 150psi through that whole, 4 months later the carb still works flawless, crap must be forming in the inlet, so i threw a fuel filter on it

Old 03-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Go to Autozone and get a gallon (come in a gallon paint can looking thing) of Chem-Clean. I think that's the name. TOTALLY dissemble the carb, removing any rubber parts, remove jets, etc. DON'T SOAK THE RUBBER STUFF IN THE ACID. It'll ruin them. Remove jets, etc. Soak the parts in this stuff for 30-45 minutes. It's an acid, it'll remove paint, etc. Rinse real good with the garden hose. Blow dry all the parts and keep them clean. Get a new needle valve.

You should be good to go. If you're leaking just sitting this should do it.

Seal up the Chem-clean stuff using the plastic rim and it'll keep for a few years. If you end up using it a lot add some water to the can. The chemical evaporates real fast. The water seal keeps that from happening. Also works well to clean out any other carbs or parts.

Good Luck,
Rob