Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Steering........

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
JSP
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Steering........

I bought a 2001 Rubicon about 6 months ago. The previous owner only used it for hunting and stored it for the rest of the year. It only had 600 miles on it. When I first got it, the steering would grab when turned far left or right, and it took some force to bring it back around. It has gotten some better, but still drives like a log truck. Otherwise a perfect machine, but the steering is very hard, especially compared to my other quads. Not much fun to drive.

I've read a lot of posts about the easy steering of the Rubicon, so it seems to me I have a problem. Maybe setting up so much dried up a bearing or bushing??? No way to grease the steering stem as I can see. Anyone have any idea as to how I can ease the steering up some? Anything I can force lube or oil? I have already put the Warn 424 unlocker on it, which helped some, but still much too hard to steer.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Try checking the alignment

Old 03-12-2005, 09:26 AM
JSP
Trailblazer

Well, the alignment is perfect. I think that the fact that the steering was sticking and grabbing when I first got it is a clue to the problem. But a clue to what??? Are there bearings or bushings in the steering column that I could lubricate somehow? I really can't see what is in there behind all the shields and plastic, but if there were bearings in there I could remove the plastic and force some lube in the bearings.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

This will show you what's in there.

Rubicon Steering

It may also be binding on something at the end of the steering travel. I've never driven a Rubicon so I don't know what it should be like, but it shouldn't stick. It's odd that it sticks at both ends. May be a tire issue as well, mine gets cranky to steer if the pressure is low, and the stock Goodyears were a bear to steer compared to the Mud Lites. I'd try driving another Rubicon if you can arrange it, it may just be the way they are.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

Chilly, that parts diagram is a big help! Thanks!

I have tried twice to get a Service Manual on ebay and have lost both times. I do not know why the manufacturers make it so expensive and difficult for the customer to obtain these things. They want to continue to get the $60/hr, I guess.

Now that I know what's in there, maybe I can figure out what's wrong, if anything. I have already soaked the bushing and the bearing with WD40 and will see if that helps. I now know some other things I can do if it doesn't. As you suggested, I would like to ride another Rubicon to see if mine is hard or normal, but I don't know of anyone with one. But I don't think it's in my head; I have a Prarie and a Bruin and an Eiger, and they all steer like a dream compared to this thing, and I don't think I would have seen so many posts commenting on the ease of steering unless it was really so.

Thanks again......

Old 03-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have an 01 myself that I bought used. It had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and it was the upper steering bushing at the top. The service manual says it should be checked every 600 miles. Mine was bad and had to be replaced for $120. Since that trip I have bought the manual and started working on my own machine. When I got it back I thought it had power steering insalled. My buddies 03 rubicon is starting to bind a little also so it may be a common problem.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

Thanks, Rick. I am beginning to suspect the bushing also. I loosened the bushing clamp in an effort to get more WD40 into it, but haven't had much luck. Even when I jack the front end up, it steers hard, particularly at the ends of travel. I'll continue with the WD40 treatment for a while and if it doesn't help it I'll look into replacing the bushing. I sure hate to pay $120 to replace a $2 bushing, but it may come to that.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another suggestion. You might try un-bolting the steering arm from your front wheels to make sure the bind is not in the upper or lower ball joints. If your wheels turn easily side to side then it's surely in the steering bushings.
Tracmaster

Old 03-14-2005, 07:48 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

Great idea, tracmaster. I'll try that in the next couple of days.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:34 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

I still haven't had time to check those ball joints. It's just too cold to be beating my knuckles. I will do it when it gets warmer; that proceedure is sure to point me to the cause.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Steering........