Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Detroit Locker for the Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Locker for the Rincon

I'm considering adding this to give me a true four wheel drive. Does anyone have one installed and can give me some input on it's effectivness? Thanks.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

why would you do this? the rincon had a limited slip diff. it does prity much the same thing as a detriot locker. dont waste your money man

Old 03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

You're right Moldycheese, it is supposed to have a limited slip but it doesn't work. I think they call it Shur Trak. I've tried tapping the brake as some suggested, even grabbing the brake harder and still it doesn't transfer the power. Personally I think Honda is very misleading in their ad and the dealers have told me as much.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

im prity sure sur trac is what they use cuz all limited slips are diffrent but maybe it isnt working right

Old 03-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Honda calls it 'torque sensing'...which is just another fancy marketing name IMO..It is no where near that of a locker and is a little better than a limited slip diff..

The brake thing will work only for a moment and its not nearly as effective as a locking differential..Its a shame that Honda dont put the locking front diff mode on their flagship model right from the factory.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

locking schmocking

torque sensing is not a marketing term, if someone thinks so, they are probably a salesman that doesn't understand differentials and goes for marketing hype rather than true capabilities.

I ride in the snow all winter and all 4 of my tires spin. the only time it won't is when you have one front wheel completely off of the ground (not often), and yes a tap of the brake will transfer power to the other wheel, usually enough to get both front wheels on the ground and pulling again. Admittedly it is not true 4WD all the time (I hesitate to use that term as Polaris has abused it) and will not give you the positive 4WD that a locker will, but please.............99% of the riders 99.99% of the time don't need or use a locking differential. One less thing to break. Shouldn't be a factor in buying a quad for the majority, and nobody should preach their opinion that Honda is lame for not having one every opportunity they get. It gets old. Really, out of an average 100 miles for anyone but serious mudders, how many miles are using the locker? 10'?

Getting back to the question rather than foolish Honda bashing, I would like to hear people's experience is with the Detroit locker on a quad. If I ever need (not likely) a locking differential - it would be worth it to me to buy something like this so I could keep my Honda and not have to settle for something else just to get a locker.

What I'd really like is the visco-lock, but I wasn't going to get a Bombardier just for a differential.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

honestly prop, i don't normally need it, but i need it alot in the winter, i can think around 15 times, no matter what i did i couldn't get that one whell to lock up, well i guess i could but i really don't want to be spinning in 3rd gear to get it going, i sometimes need to be slow, it would be a nice feature, i am a bit suprised its not there

Old 03-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

have you checked or replaced the differential oil? maybe it isn't functioning correctly?

I have thought about using the Detroit locker, but I just haven't gotten stuck bad enough to make me spend the extra money or modify any of my quads to date.

I like how the Detroit allows you to turn the outside tire faster for turns, yet never let one wheel spin slower than the differential. Better than a true locked front in my opinion.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

And one should not preach false statements about the capibilities of their torque sensing front Differential to justify their purchase!!That gets old too.

My Rincon would drive both front tires with power as long as both wheels were on the ground and I was headed in a straight direction.Once a wheel comes off the ground,it worked NO differant than a limited slip diff,so it is a marketing scheme on Honda's part.The brake things is allmost worthless because it only works for a second and thats not usually enough to get you moving forward.

You asked how many times I really needed a locking front differential?NOT MANY,however,I'll ask the same question?

How many times do you need your winch?Hardly ever,but it sure is nice knowing its there if you need it.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Littlebill, you might find that you get no farther with 4 wheels spinning!!!!

[quote]
Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
And one should not preach false statements about the capibilities of their torque sensing front Differential to justify their purchase!![quote]

why didn't you buy a quad that came with a stock winch too?

worthless?...whatever, Honda basher

Quick Reply: Detroit Locker for the Rincon