Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

buying a recon

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 200 pounds and 6 feet tall. I was thinking of buying a new atv, is the recon a good quad for riding on trails, dose it do good going down steep
hills.

sportsman 500- 26in mudrunner tires

Old 09-27-2000, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

My Recon does great going down hills. Im not too good at going up them, however thats not the Quads fault. I have a blast every time I ride, even if I do end up on my back now and then. The front end is very light, Im rather heavy (heavier then you) and gravity isnt my friend :-) The Recon is a great all round trail machine. It will not do through the mud like your Sportsman but its nible enough to get around most trouble spots. With it being a smaller (not too small though for your size) machine its very easy to slide through corners and zip inbetween trees. I have gone places on it where I know a bigger Quad could not(and gotten stuck a few times where a bigger 4x4 could plow right through)
All in all its a fine machine.

Old 09-28-2000, 01:00 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I found the Recon to be very stable up or down hills. In fact, in a freak accident I found myself sliding sideways down a very steep hill on my Recon. It didn't roll and saved my rearend from certain pain, possible death (moral of story: don't wheely over unknown ridge). It also had plenty of power for me and I am around 230. If you want any additional Recon info, e-mail me.

Old 09-28-2000, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

The recon is a great bike!!! We have one and I ride it as much as my Wolverine. I too am heavier than you, and it scoots just fine. You might also consider the Rancher. You can get in two or four wheel drive and you gain considerable clearance. I have some awesome Recon and 400 ex pics on my website that show just how capable that bike is. Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2000, 08:55 AM
Range Rover

My brother is about 6'5" 200++ and he can have alot of fun on my recon. He looks like a gorilla on a tricyle but it does take him places. If a recon is what you want it will pull you. But ride a rancher 2x4. You'll start saving your money to get one.

Old 09-28-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I just checked out the pictures on your web page and have to admit -- they are just great. I can't believe you get through that mud with two-wheel drive. And is that any way to treat a 400EX? Truely amazing stuff and totally great photography. Gotta love those action shots where you're dropping into the mud. Move over Dirt Wheels.

Old 09-28-2000, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

You might find that the Recon is too small for you. Have you considered a 2X4 Rancher as an alternative (more power, better suspension, more cockpit room, etc.). It is about $800 more! Still, you could have lots of fun on a Recon.

Old 09-28-2000, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

DrRod,
Thanks for checking out the pics. I can't argue the fact of how abusive that is but gotta tell ya we had a hell of a good time doing it. Amazingly that 400EX roots pretty good. I do feel though that we reached it's limits. It never missed a beat, and after a thorough wash and bearing repack, It was ready for the dunes in Florence. Can you imagine a Honda Sport 4x4? I'd be the first!!

Old 09-29-2000, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Compared to the SP the Recon is a buckboard from hell ,way underpowered and severly undersuspended. The difference between my SP and a Recon is so huge that it is hard to even try to compare the two, one is powerful and rides awesome the other is well a 250 with barely any suspension travel at all. It is a horrible little machine, buy a 250ex at leats you will get some decent suspension. The last time i rode with a Recon he was boucing so hard ot try to keep up he went off the trail several times and was so mad he kicked it when we stopped for a drink and swore he was trading it in as soon as paid off. He called it so many names it was terrible. It wil not keep up to bigger machines at all.even a 300 Praire Kawasaki left it like it was not even on. don't buy one, after owning an SP you will hate it more than a ford Pinto.

Old 09-30-2000, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

This is not the first time I have heard you bad mouth Recon, and I have not responded until now.
1. Yes your SP rides much better than the Recon. At more than $2000 dollars more it should.
2.The new 250 EX only has 1/2inch more suspension travel than a Recon. Why are you convinced that it so much better?
3. I ride with an SP 500 nearly every time I ride. Other than top speed, he rarely leaves me behind on trail rides. We are of approximately equal riding ability, and on tight trails, I am all over his back bumper. Yes he would kill me in mud or top end race. Yes the 500 is a wonderful riding quad. Yes my Recons ride rougher (as Hondas generally do) than some other quads. I don't bash Sp's and don't see why the reverse should not be true.
4. Remember that not every one has $6000 plus to plunk down on a quad. I bought both my and my wife's quads plus trailer for less than that. I am darn fortunate to afford that.
5. Before you brand something a "terrible" quad because it does not ride like a Cadillac, consider some other aspects such as what a person might need the quad for, reliability, weight, rider experience, and affordability.
6. If you ever wonder how bashing matches get started on this forum, it is posts like yours which make declarations of "fact" as opposed to a personal viewpoint.

Quick Reply: buying a recon