Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is it ok for a 400ex to smoke lightly when you rev it then let off the gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have white smoke...

Old 09-29-2000, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guy's for all the input, this really helps. Keep the info on the smoke and oil coming. anyone else with info on oil brands and grades that get rid of the smoke I would like to hear from you. Thanks again, Wicked

Old 09-29-2000, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

LISTEN UP STUDENTS.....THIS MOTOR RUNS EXTREMELY HOT...ESP. IF YOU HAVE ANY MOTOR WORK...THIS MAKES YOUR OIL BURN FASTER GET THIN, AND SLIP PAST THE PISTON AND BURN.....SOME WILL ALSO SLIP BY YOUR VALVES, EVEN IF THEY ARE SEATING UP RITE.....SOLUTION...USE A FULL SYNTHETIC 20W 50 OIL...BUT MAKE SURE IT DOESNT HAVE THE ADDITIVE IN IT THAT MAKES YOUR CLUTCH SLIP, IT IS SOME KIND OF POLYMER OR SOMETHING...MAKE SURE THE OIL IS GOOD FOR WET CLUTCHES...I USE ROYAL PURPLE, IT IS 5.25$ A QUART, BUT IT IS WORTH IT...YOULL HERE THE MOTOR RUN SMOOTHER INSTANTLY, AND YES I HAVE TRIED MOBIL, GOLDEN SPECTRA, HONDA HP, NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THE ROYAL PURPLE...

Old 09-29-2000, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

wicked400ex..

dude i basically ride around the same elevation, and climate that you do. And let me tell you that mobil 1 15w 50 is the best stuff for your bike. I usually get mine at advance auto in Belle vernon.

it has just as good consistancy as a 20w 50 weight oil, But can endure cooler temperatures. i belive it is somewhere below -15 Celcious.

If you have cooler climate. (NOT LIKE CANADA, BUT NOT AS HOT AS, SAY, TEXAS), then the 15w 50 is better thatn the 20w 50

PS: where you riding at? I'm probably just gonna go to Grindstone

Old 09-29-2000, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer

I agree. Stock up on the Honda oil filters. You can have as many as you want shipped to you in a few days from Honda of Troy for only $3.95 each. Hard to beat, exceptional quality.

Old 09-29-2000, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the 460 was never available in the Broncos, this is an aftermarket swap in, and the engine isn't stock. I did have the front intake manifold gasket blow out on it, but it wasn't too bad so I just left it. Then recently, the passenger-side intake gasket started leaking, so I finally replaced them all. They seem to be holding up fine now, but then again, they've only been on there a couple weeks.

And yes, I've noticed the Edelbrock/Carter 750s can be pretty tough on the drive train parts . I blew up the spider gears in the rearend twice (on the stock open-diff). I got tired of replacing them, so after the 2nd time I put in the auburn posi, since they're about as bullet proof of a posi you can get for the 9".

Old 09-29-2000, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer
Old 09-29-2000, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

dude i know a few people in newell, on dude just got a 250r, uhhhh... Novak

I've always wanted to go to brownsville, do you ride the pipeline in newell??

I ride with John Paull in grindstone, he has an rm250.

Webster, Mad dudes, mostly from EF ride there, but i've met people from OH that ride there too.

And yes, my quad smoked on DECEL when it was warmed up. Hit the gas, let go, and when it goes back to idle it starts to smoke purple. 15w 50 is awesome, get it dude.

PS: i think that brasnell is grindstone.....

Old 10-01-2000, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

I me and a buddy bought 2 2001 400ex's within a day of each other. We broke them right. About 1.5 tanks later while jumping in the back yard we noticed blue smoke when we reved it. Went to the dealer. Said it was perfect time to change oil, and that it was normal. Changed. Put Spectro 10w40 in and new oil filter. Smoked after first ride when revved. I put in mobil 15w50 synthitic. Smoked after first ride when reved. Changed, put in good ole Castrol GTX 20w50 non synthitic, because wb cams tells you not to use synthitic with there cams. It was a cool day. didn't get above 75 F. Smoked. Haven't had it out since. But my dealer said if it keeps persisting bring it in. Said the dumbies at honda might have put the oil ring in upside down. or lined the ring gaps wrong. Either way. I am going on one more ride. it smokes. It gets fixed. Hoped this helped you.

If you need more info Email me at klem_64@hotmail.com

Old 10-02-2000, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Wait a second. Is is stock or have you had the engine opened up?

Anyhow, I haven't seen this. What I have seen though (aside from my own bike & some others), is a friend's that smoked like a freight train, we're talking really bad, which I just attributed to the way he treats it. Switched to Castrol 20w50 (spur of the moment thing, it's all that was available at the time or we would have used Mobil1) from a lighter weight, smoke was gone. We were both amazed...

If you've opened up your engine and made mods, maybe you're not seeing oil smoke, but smoke from incorrect mixture... Or if you've made mods and not rejetted, you may have overheated the engine due to lean mixture and damaged the rings.

Do you run a K&N filter? I had one pass some dirt and take out my rings - currently in the middle of a rebuild and upgrade...

When I switched from 10w40 to 20w50 Castrol I noticed the smoke went away immediately, but came back after about 4 tanks of fuel (oil had broken down). I then switched to Mobil1 15w50, smoke went away and stayed away (until about 6 months later after I found dirt in my air intake tract).

Quick Reply: Is it ok for a 400ex to smoke lightly when you rev it then let off the gas?