Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex clutch?????/

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2000, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i rode my 440ex today for bout 15 minutes on one of my friends race track. when it warmed up i started given it hell. as soon as i would shift gears i lost all kinds of power. my clutch was slippin BAD. so one of these days i have to get me a clutch cause im loosen all kinds of power fomr it slippin. what i was wanten to know would a hidrolick clutch be the best way to go? if so is there any site that sells them? and if this aint the way to go what would you recamend me buying? thanx alot

Old 10-01-2000, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

The hydraulic clutch is only affects the method of acutation (better clutch pull, feel, and control), not the physical coupling forces of the clutch. You will probably need to invest in better clutch plates and heavier springs (see Hinson, Barnett, EBC, etc...).

Old 10-01-2000, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

I've been wanting to ask this for a while: Does anyone honestly feel thet the 400 clutch is THAT hard to pull? Maybe it's me with my experience with a lot of other machines, but I think the 400 has one of the smoothest, lightest, and responsive clutch pulls around. Just wonder how much bang you get for the buck (and hassle) by installing a hydraulic clutch pull...

Old 10-02-2000, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

today i went and ordered the clutch. i bought a barnet racing clutch. the guy said thats about as good as you really want. he said he really didnt know much bout the hydrolick clutch but he said that there really aint much since buying it. so i got just a barnet racing clutch.
and conway400, my clutch was very very smooth. but ever since i got it bored and started riden it A LIL hard it has gone really stiff. takes alot of tiring muscle to pull it. and for the hydrolick clutch im tired of useing so much energy of pulling the dad gom thing in and out so thats another reason why i just went ahead and bought a regular clutch.
ill tell you guys the response of the new one once i get it one
thanx

Old 10-05-2000, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

DEAR CHAD, READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY...YOUR BIKE IS PRODUCING BOUT 33% MORE POWER THAN IT WAS INTENDED TO PUT ON THE WHOLE CLUTCH SYSTEM...MY EXPERIENCE, I GOT THE 426CC KIT, AND RODE FOR BOUT 3 MONTHS WIHT IT SLIPPING, PUTTING OFF GETTING SOMETHING BETTER, IT ENDED UP COSTING ME 12OO$....THE STOCK CLUTCH BASKET AND INNER HUBS, PLATES, EVERYTHING EXPLODED LIKE GLASS, SENDING FRAGMENTS THROUGHOUT THE MOTOR, MADE IT JUMP TIME AND BENT TWO VALVES...HAD TO SPLIT THE CASE TO CLEAN IT OUT AND PUT NEW TIMING GEARS AND CHAIN, AND VALVES...I DONT KNOW WHY THESE GUYS THAT BUILD THESE KITS DONT TELL YOU ALL THIS....PASS THE WORD ON!! I ENDED UP GETTING THE HINSON 8 PLATE KIT,EVERYTHING IN THE CLUTCH SYSTEM,FOR 900$
THATS ALL BILLETPROOF STUFF, AND I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM SINCE, THE BARNETT IS NOT TOP OF THE LINE, I CALLED BARNETT WHEN THIS HAPPEN, AND THEY TOLD ME TO GET THE HINSON 8 PLATE KIT...IT IS EXPENSIVE, BUT I WOULD NOT SETTLE FOR LESS IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A 440 KIT...