Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hill climbing (not hillshooting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill climbing (not hillshooting)

thats fine i understand what it is like to get hyped up about getting a new quad...its and adreneline rush the first time you ride a new bike...

Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: iwannaride2
red goblin dont worry too much about your body position...your instinct will place you just about where you need to be and you will get much better in time...
Ummm..... Yeah he DOES need to lean forward and worry about body position if he is going to be climbing steep hills.

Look at the hills I climb. If I weren't leaning forward, I would be flipping it over backwards![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

not tryin to start somin' but i didn't say he doesn't need to lean forward...i said his body and insticts will move his body where it needs to be....i never had anyone to tell me how to hillclimb i just leaned forward instinctively....

Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not tryin to start somin' but i didn't say he doesn't need to lean forward...i said his body and insticts will move his body where it needs to be....i never had anyone to tell me how to hillclimb i just leaned forward instinctively....
I agree, you need to use a lot of body english, but you will have to learn instinctively what to and not to do. It will come, it's practice, practice, and more practice. Just like wheelies, at first you got to think about it, and after a while it comes natural. It is like programing your body in a way, or training it.

As for leaning forward, the only time I do is when Im not going to make it or on the verge of not making it. On a sporty, if you lean forward you lose traction. You can sit down on a 90 degree incline, it's physics man, your momentum will make you stick. For a while anyways, LOL. Look at dirtbike hill climbs, they don't lean forward[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Guys, I love to hill climb. When we are climbing we all have sports bike of course a big advantage. If you stop on the hill and it is in gear it will set there with some help but will not free wheel. On our extremely big hills we have catchers they line up the hill and if u start to have trouble you kill your motor as you jump off and they will jump in and grab your bike so it doesn't roll over. Then we all will work on getting the bike off the hill. Be very careful climb extremely steep hills on a utility bike because you have to hold on to the brakes when you get stuck because it will free wheel right back down the hill.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26

You can sit down on a 90 degree incline, it's physics man, your momentum will make you stick. For a while anyways, LOL. Look at dirtbike hill climbs, they don't lean forward[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I guess the hills I climb are a lot steeper than the ones you do, because I can gaurantee that you would flip over backwards going up some of the hills we go up if you kept your butt planted to the seat.

And if you were to sit down on a 90 degree incline???? Come on bro. You don't really expect me to believe that do you??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Remember, you are going to be under power when going up these things.

As far as some of the dirtbikes who are professional hill climbers (and ATVs), a lot of them have extended swingarms. Why do you think this is?? To keep it from flipping over backwards!

As far as instinct, you'd be surprized at how many people don't have this "instinct". I also challenge you that instinct will not cause you to stand up and place your upper torso clear over the handlebars for long steep hillclimbs!. Took me quite a while to get that part down.

For shorter hills, or ones that are not as steep, you probably CAN get away with not re-positioning your body. But then again, maybe what you call a hillclimb, and what I call a hillclimb are two differen't things. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

your guys ideas on hill climing are entirely different then ours. for us, the hill may not be too steep, but itll be muddy, have some stonewalls on it, and logs galore. sport quads dont stand a chance. as for real steep hills, so far the kodiak i had was the champ. since our areas arent that open, you cant get a running start at all. so its 4wd, high range and nail it while leaning forward as much as u can. that thing was so nose heavy you couldnt roll it backwards... sucked going downhills though

Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"And if you were to sit down on a 90 degree incline???? Come on bro. You don't really expect me to believe that do you??"

uh, yeah I do. I don't mean this to be disrespectfull, but if you don't have the intelligance to understand that, then I might as well debate with the wall. Your not going to get traction leaning forward, I don't why that is so hard to understand, on a sport quad anyway.

And using body english is not just leaning over the bars, it is positioning your body to where you need the most traction, depending on the ruts, bumps, etc. You use throttle control to keep the front end down, cause withput traction, you ain't never going to make it up!

LOL, and yes I believe we are talking about different types of hills, considering you don't think you can climb a 90 degree hill and make it stick. But when you do climb a 90 degree and shoot off the top, then you want to lean over the bars so you don't freefall back down, especially on a dirtbike.

Inexperienced guys hang over the bars, I used to at first to out of fear, but after a while I would think every competent mind would learn. LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

As far as instinct, you'd be surprized at how many people don't have this "instinct". I also challenge you that instinct will not cause you to stand up and place your upper torso clear over the handlebars for long steep hillclimbs!. Took me quite a while to get that part down.
yes it is instinct...unless your a dumba$$ and lean back....i was smart enough to figure it out...

Old 04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I love hill climbing, more so on snow machine in the winter. On snow machine you can climb faster, higher and safer, if your not going to make it you can kean over with the throttle pinned and high mark. In snow, with the throttle pinned and leaned into the hill, the track will go level diggin a tranch, lifting the downhill ski, and a way you go!!!

Cant really do that on a quad, once gravity kicks in, your tumbling to the bottom, granted that doesnt always stop me from attempting a sweet hill, especially in the sand pits.

Quick Reply: Hill climbing (not hillshooting)