Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman flooded - question and tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman flooded - question and tip

I've always been told that you can ride in deep water, as long as it doesn't get into the air intake, right below the S or ES sticker on the side. I had my '04 Foreman in some water Monday and was plowing around when it started getting deep, but still about 4 inches below the ES sticker. I started to back out and the exhaust got under water for about 5 seconds. I've also always heard that you can drive with the exhaust under water, as long as the engine is running. Well, about 30 seconds after I backed out, my Foreman died. I started it, and when I pushed on the throttle it died again. It had no trouble staying started, but when I would get above about 2 mph it would start rattling and die.
I checked the airbox and there wasn't any water in it. I took off the air filter and there looked to be some drops of water inside.
To make a long story short, some guy came along, I told him what happened, and he:
(1) started my Foreman then
(2) pushed the choke in and out while slowing giving it more throttle. This burned the water out and I drove home.

My question is, how did my Foreman flood out. I'm guessing that when I backed out I sloshed water up into the exhaust?

Also, if anyone else has the same problem I did, remember the trick I post above. I've never heard anyone mention doing this (pushing the choke in and out), but it worked wonders for me.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

Dang, no replies yet.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Look to see if the one way valve is in the carb drain. Its the rubber tube coming out of the bottom of the carb. If its missing or stuck open by dirt or grit, that will let water into your float bowl. Theres an over flow tube, inside the carb which is always open to the outside, so even though the screw is tight, at the bottom of the float bowl, the over flow tube still is open.
The other way it could get in...theres another vent tube on the left side of carb (your left leg side, as sitting on it), up towards the top.Most likely this is where it entered the carb. This one doesnt have a one way valve in it, its just supposed to be high enough that water wont enter.
Once water comes in, it somewhat mixes into an emulsion, but if left still for a while itll settle out in the bottom, and then you can open the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and let the water flush out. I preferr this method, but what he did works as well, he was just forcing the motor to burn the water.
Opening the choke, is really opening a starter jet. Theres no restriction in the carb, like a choke butterfly. This makes the mixture way rich, and allows the motor to run, because the gas and water mixture is too lean. Eventually, enough water gets burned, and new gas, which refills the bowl, delutes what is left, until it will run with out the choke on. You may have some hicups and sputtering for awhile, until all of the water is gone.And if thats the case, when you get it home and it sits for a day, open the screw and let some of the contents of the float bowl drain out.
If it happens again,on the trail, drain the float bowl first, then try running it.