Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Non-Honda Hondamatics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-Honda Hondamatics?

If Doctorturbo remembers the Elsinore, he must be as old as I am!

Old 06-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never be able to find it, but I really do remember seeing somewhere that vs. today's belt-drive system in "modern" ATVs, the Hondamatic is more power-efficient.
http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-te...tic/index.html

The Hondamatic, when at 1 to 1, is quoted from Honda as having the efficiency of a manual. However, the swash plate bleeds off high pressure from the pump, or trades efficiency for lower ratios (1st-5th and such) if I understand it correctly. I haven't figured out how it locks up at 1 to 1 yet.

I've never seen a direct comparison between a belt and the Hondamatic, but I've never seen better than 85% efficiency quoted for a rubber belt CVT. Lots lost to belt squeeze trying to prevent slip. Just over 90% for metal belted CVTs like the Insight.

I enjoy the Hondamatic on my utility quad, but I wouldn't want it on a sport bike. Having a clutch is the only thing I miss about the Hondamatic (sometimes).

Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If Doctorturbo remembers the Elsinore, he must be as old as I am!
Oh ya, I remember them. They were second to none in my day. The Elsinore, the toilet seat 90 (& cub) and the 750-4 made Honda the company they are today. About 4" or so of suspension travel and the drum brakes were not the best but man those bikes were fast and powerful!!! They reved to the moon and kept on pulling!!!
I also remember the day a kid in school bought "THE NEW" RM mono shock. We all stood around that thing drooling!!! That was the begining of the end of the good old gray/silver Elsinore.
Thanks for the memories Recon!!!!

By the way, just so nobody jumps to conclusion. I don't like or dislike the Hondamatic. I know VERY little about them. I just remember them in that 750 and that did not work out very good. Honda seemed to agree with me.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: maddog56
Right, try that one again. The hondamatic has been used in small cars and the last recreational use of the hondamatic before atvs was in a 750cc street bike so can you tell me again why it cant handle the power of the weakest 650 atv on the market?
The Hondamatic used in the old CB750A has nothing in common with the Hondamatic in the Rubicon, except for the name that is.

The Hondamatic used in the CB750A was not a CVT, it was a car type tranny complete with torque converter, just like the Rincon uses. The difference between the CB750A tranny and the Rincon tranny is that the Rincon has a three speed automatic/ESP, while the CB750A used a two speed "manual shift". The two speed tranny on the CB750A had Low and Drive. The driver would shift from Low to Drive via an engine mounted lever, it was not a true automatic.

Again , the Hondamatic used in the old Honda CB750A was not the same CVT Hondamatic used in the Rubicon. The only thing they have in common is the name.

Honda did use a CVT Hondamatic in the 1962 Juno scooter and in the early nineties RC250MA MX bike.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: maddog56
The others, most notably the old 750, IS the same hondamatic transmission not just a mechanical cvt by the same name. Or, honda just realized they screwed up on the Rincon's AT trans and decided to go back to what worked in the first place...
See above post.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

Another nifty auto transmission from Honda. Again, no rubber belt...

Honda Multimatic

Old 06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

Driving the Multimatic

Old 06-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

Scroll down to Newly developed Honda Multimatic S with 7-speed mode.

Newly developed Honda Multimatic S with 7-speed mode

Old 07-01-2005, 04:54 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Originally posted by: BareTread
as far as im concerned anything from honda is better than the rest so it doesnt really matter if the hondamatic is better or worse than the rincon tranny. they are both better than beltstrannys.
So...can you tell me about how the Honda's "sealed" drum brakes are better than the Suzuki's (or anyones) disc brakes?

Old 07-01-2005, 04:54 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Originally posted by: BareTread
as far as im concerned anything from honda is better than the rest so it doesnt really matter if the hondamatic is better or worse than the rincon tranny. they are both better than beltstrannys.

Quick Reply: Non-Honda Hondamatics?