Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon or Rancher AT???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon or Rancher AT???

I need another fourwheeler. I have a 450 es foreman already. We move cattle pretty often from pasture to pasture and pull little mineral feeders to the next pasture. I am not too sure what one I should be dealing on yet? I am thinking about the Rubicon because it is automatic like the AT, but has more power. It also has a nicer shifter from reverse to neutral and high or low or whatever than the AT. I like the At cause it is a smaller atv and is better for manuevering as people say. I dont really wanna be underpowered or anything, but I dont really pull anything much. I would like to have an automatic, but i hear they take a little bit to get used to, but when you do you will never use manuel shift again. Any info appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well the thing is, you can still shift on your own with the Hondamatic tranny if desired. I would say Rancher for you.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

I would go with the Rubicon. I have an 05 and I absolutely love it. It has a lot more power than the AT. It is a little larger than the AT but I have no trouble turning mine. If you do ever pull anything heavy, the low range on the Rubi will more than do the job.

I would suggest that you ride both and see which one fits you better. I am 6'4" 230lbs so the AT feels a little small for me. If you are not as big as I am than the AT might fit you better. Either way you will be happy with both. They are great machines and the automatic is very nice.

Good Luck!

Cirviver

Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the Rubicon first came out, there was a flood of posts on electronic problems with the transmission controls. Those have now dropped off to nothing, so I assume that Honda has worked out whatever the problem was with the early models.

On the other hand, if you look around there are a number of posts on the same type of problems with the AT. Maybe Honda will work those problems out, and maybe not.

I am in the market for another 4X4. I am partial to the Rancher (small and agile), but can't see paying an extra $1,000 for an automatic transmission that I neither need or particularly like, and might give me trouble somewhere down the line. I am also going to take a good look at the new Foreman 500 manual.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Buy the Ruby. This coming from an AT owner.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Cirviver
you have a nice rubicon keep it up on the mods.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

Thank you very much!

It is an awesome machine.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Cirviver, yeah im buying another quad, and seeing your rubi somewhat decked out has persuaded me to get one, but green, with 26' Mudlites. Nice quad.
--------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
27' ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
High Performance Dayco Belt - NEW! (on the way)

2001 Honda Rancher ES (2wd)
2.5 Warn Winch
(For Sale)

Old 06-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider

i would go with the rubicon also i have an 04 and i use it around my little farm and i plow my horse corral and snow in the winter and i have over 2000 miles on it and i havent had any problems with it yet.
its a great work horse and plays just as well.

Old 06-19-2005, 03:37 AM
Trailblazer

How is the down hill engine breaking on the rubicon compared to the foreman’s manual transmission?

Quick Reply: Rubicon or Rancher AT???