Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman vs Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman vs Rubicon

I am planning on purchasing a new atv. Not really sure what to buy. I am considering going with a Honda mainly due to their reputation. I ride a lot of mud, steep hills, and rocky terrain. Could anyone tell me which which atv would be best for my type of riding. I am considering the following Honda models; Rubicon and 500 Foreman manuel shift.
I have also looked at some other models;
Polaris 500HO, and 700EFI.
Yamaha Grizzly 660
Suzuki King Quad 700EFI
Kawasaki Brute Force 650 and Prairie 700.
So far the Honda models are the only ones I have actually ridden. However I am open to other choices. I first considered the Rincon, but after doing some research on it, I decided it probably wasn't for me, considering if did not have a low range or an engine brake.
After reading other postings I have noticed alot of problems with the belt drives. Many Grizzy owners claim there belt compartment will flood out. Leaving very little power if any.
Is this a problem on the Rubicon? Remember I ride in a lot of mud and swamp. I like the ideal of an automatic, but do not want to have this problem. Also read that some models experience a hesitation/slip of the belt when climbing steep hills. Has any Honda owners had this problem?
I would appreciate any input that anyone can give me. Remember I am not against models other than honda just leaning towards the Honda reputation. I would also appreciate it, if you could list any problems you had had with your models, as well as things to watch out for.
Once again thanks.
Tha main problem I hear with the Honda models I am considering is ground clearence. This does not concern me, there are always things to do to gain a few extra inches.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

hunting, work, and general fun rides. I bought the rubi and love it. test rode vinson auto, griz, sportsman 500 and they all rode nice. wanted solid rear for hauling and felt the fit and finish sold the honda. after 8 months of riding it's still the one for me. love the hondamatic trans. test ride some and good luck

Old 07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

You dont have to worry about any belt slip on the Honda because it doesnt use belts. They have true hydraulic automatic transmissions. We have a Rancher 400AT with the automatic transmission and its great. My best friend has the Rubicon and its even better with its choice of low or high range in the transmission. Also either of these you can electrically shift yourself in ESP mode if you dont want to use the automatic. I have an 04 Foreman manual shift which is awesome. I had thought about getting a Grizzly because they ride so much smoother and I have a bad back, but after riding with friends who have them, they are having trouble with them running hot. Some claim 05 models did not have the problem, but we road with two of them this past month and everytime wer stopped and went to restart they had trouble. Fuel boils in the carb bowl for one thing. I believe I am going to stick with Honda!

Old 07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

First off, let me tell you I just recently got rid of my Rubicon and it was a great machine. I hold no biases towards or against any manufacturer (except Polaris, but don't get me started). For lots of mud riding, a Honda is fine.....if you like to turn a wrench. The drum brakes are simply a pain in the @$$ to work with when you ride a lot of water and muck and you have to more or less take them apart to access the bearings if they go out. Disc brakes truly are awesome in the mud. Yes, they will need replaced and maintaned, but it's much easier than drums. The Hondamatic transmission in the Rubicon is the absolute best in any ATV, bar none. I've preached that in about every other forum and received no arguement. However, belts are not as bad as many make them sound. I've not had the KingQuad in ridiculous amounts of mud and water yet, but I have had it up to the top of the fenders in the river and absolutely no belt slippage what so ever. As of right now, no Honda currently has a locking front differential. All the terrain you mentioned you ride can find a benefit from a locker. Don't worry about the ground clearance of a Honda because what you may lose there, you gain in great stability. Please stay away from the Polaris's. I've seen nothing but trouble out of them as I have several riding buddies who own them. The Grizzly seems to be a good machine, although my friend's always drowns out in seemingly small amounts of water where everyone else has no problems. Somehow water is getting to his spark plug I believe. The Kawasakis are awesome machines, but share a CVT similar to that of a Polaris and will require belt adjustments every so often. The Suzuki and Yamaha belts are virtually maintenance-free. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them here or PM me. Bottom line: a Honda will slightly outlast the other machines, but they are lacking features and typically power. However, with a lot of mud and little maintenance, you'd be better off with something else.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

i have an 04 rubicon and its a great quad runs great looks good and is very relyable.
it will do anything you ask it to.
but if you want a real bad a$$ quad get the 700 prarie.
i got mine in january and i have hardly road the honda since.
that thing has more power the you need for mudding and trail riding and when you what to be in front making dust instead of eating it you got the power to pull away from almost any quad.
the honda is a great quad and if you want a quad to give you lots of riding and little wrenching then thats the quad for you.
if you dont mind doing a bit of maintenance (checking the belt and clutches every 100 hrs)the the kawi will keep you smileing the whole time out.
check out my pics and see my kawi.
i had some picks of my honda on there but i just put these one up a few weeks ago and i will be changing them every time i get new ones.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

The 2005 foreman 500 has front disk brakes, 2 of em.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

So does the '05 and newer Rubicon.

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Rears are still drums. The rear on the Kawasakis and the KingQuad are like clutch plates housed within the rear pumpkin and bathed in oil. My owner's manual for the King says 6,000 miles; no maintenance.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Red Goblin, got some questions for you. I was also considering the new King Quad . The suspension is suppose to be so much better than the Honda. As I said before, I have a bad back, broke it a few years back and was looking for a smoother ride. I started looking around on here about the Suzuki and everyone said to stay away, some kind of nut backing off in the engines, and reverse going out in the trannys. Have you heard any of this or know of any problems with the suzuki king quad? As far as magazine and atv television they absolutely loved it. I would just hate to sell my Foreman and end up going in debt for something thats going to cost a lot of problems. Any info will be appreciated!

Old 07-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

I honestly haven't heard anything about engine mount bolts backing out. Forget the reverse problems. I'm saying it once and hopefully for all: FORGET THE REVERSE PROBLEMS! The older vin #s are pretty much phased out by now. Even if they aren't, Suzuki will replace the screwed up parts with updated ones for free and you're done for good. It takes SERIOUS abuse to mess it up in the first place. The ride is very plush in comparison to all the Hondas except the Rincon, however it's also much sportier than any other IRS machine in my opinion (verdict still isn't in on the Bombardier 800 yet). My friend has a Grizzly that is very plush, but the push in the corners is ridiculous. I was in your boat not very long ago at all. I had a Rubicon and loved the reliability of it, almost like a damn tank. I, a die-hard Red rider, made the switch to Suzuki because I wanted the performance. The difference between any of the Foremans and the King as far as all out performance and fun is night and day. Only time will tell if it's reliable, but I believe it will fit the bill and I'll have a great time finding out. If you like to pick up the pace from time to time in your riding, you won't think twice after getting a KingQuad. Same with the Kawasakis if you don't mind turning a wrench.

Quick Reply: Foreman vs Rubicon