5. turn choke off
6. remove air filter box lid and then start her up

Old 07-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R Stumped

Originally posted by: 2StrOkeFReaK
Stealth,

It does sound like you do have carb issues, are you trying to run with the air box lid on? When is the last time your air filter was cleaned and oiled?

Once a plug is fouled its done. Get a few BR8ES plugs to do your jetting work.

What premix oil and ratio are you using? Try premium fuel with Amsoil @ 50:1 Its hard to foul plugs on Ams. its good stuff.

Have you done a compression test yet?

Check all your electrical connections and grounds for corrosion and oxidation. If corroded replace the pins. On the female side of electrical connections use a small scrwedriver or pic to close (tighten up) the pins.
Solid advice! I'll second the fact you need to check all electrical connections.... especially the grounds! When a bike sits, it's quite easy for corrosion/oxidation to take its toll... the ignition system on these bikes is fairly poor to begin with, a bad/weak ground makes a huge difference.
The roost boost should be tossed. DO NOT RUN A HOTTER PLUG!!!! Your asking for trouble with detonation, etc.

On the carb. Did you replace the original PJ with another PJ? or did you get lucky enough to find a PWK (Much better carb IMHO)?
Merely replacing carb for carb does not ensure you'll have proper jetting.
Also, using cook book jet settings from the manual is not very good either... You mentioned you relocated. Different elevation, air density, temperatures???? That makes a huge impact on jetting.
You mixing same oil and at the same ratios? Another big factor.
You mentioned dumping straight fuel in??? BAD MOVE... Dump it all out, mix up some fresh fuel with the brand oil of your choice at the recommended ratios and try again.
Please do some jetting homework... YOu'll do yourself a huge favor, not to mention you'll learn something.
Proper jetting isn't rocket science, it just takes some basic understanding.
Here's a comprehensive guide that will help you out:

http://www.eric-gorr.com/twostktech/carbtuning.html

Dragracing789 has a good point about the seals also... rubber seals dry out and harden with time/lack of use. Lets hope thats not the issue here.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 250R Stumped

Thanks Addict, How are things going in Mormon country? It's been a while. I'm wanting to get the Zilla out of the moth ***** and get it trail worthy again. Needs top end and a bearing carrier. I just dont trust anyone local to do machining on my jug.
I'm sure I'll post when I get into it.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Stumped

I have had the same problems you are having with my Three it sat for about 15 years with the top end apart and i finally put it together. i first got it runin i was foulin plugs bout every hour i couldnt keep one in it. so we tried runin differant oil brand n ratio it Now im runing bean oil and mixing it 44:1. And we also started runing the BR8ES plug and i havent changed it for a month n i have been idling around on it and people say ur not supposed to be able to idle wit the 250r but we have it set up like that so i can idle or go fast wit out ruining my plug

Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default 250R Stumped

Originally posted by: 2StrOkeFReaK
Thanks Addict, How are things going in Mormon country? It's been a while. I'm wanting to get the Zilla out of the moth ***** and get it trail worthy again. Needs top end and a bearing carrier. I just dont trust anyone local to do machining on my jug.
I'm sure I'll post when I get into it.
Hey Freak... Things are good here... Lotsa pretty blonde women!!!
I have only ridden once this summer! That really sux! Been building a new shop to keep everything under cover. Still have not finished the 'project'... But it's getting closer!

Old 10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Stumped

OK Guys, here is the deal. I tried everything & finally decided to give in & call the Honda dealer to look at it. Guess what? They told me that they do not work on anything older then 1990!!! So I found a local motorcycle shop to look at it. They told me that the problem with it is that it has low compression. He wanted $300 to fix it. I told him great. When he took the cylinder head off he said that the lower bearing are worn from sitting and also need to be replaced. He gave me an estimate for $1100 for everything. I told him thanks but no thanks. Paid him $100 for diagnosing & took my bike. So now I am at a point where I have a good frame but shot engine. I would love to get a new quad but dont want to fork out about $5k for one. I would consider putting in a different engine just don't know what would fit without any major modifications. Being older now, it would be very nice to have reverse.
Does anyone know if any other 4 stroke engines would fit nicely?
Does anyone recommend any places for me to send out my 250r engine to be rebuilt?
I don't care for making it a race engine. Just a stockish rebuild.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Stumped

hey bud, all you have to do is raze the clip up one notch on the main jet needle,put a new plug in and adjust air screw by sound/feel some where around 1.5 to 3.0 turns out .....allways use new plugs and keep extras on hand take her for a ride adj. air scew on trail if needed ...inspect spark when you get back ..hope this helps have fun ridin your "R" take good care of her...............

Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Stumped

This would be ok but now the problem is that it is low compression causing the fouling.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Range Rover
Default 250R Stumped

if you're mechanically inclined you could rebuild it yourself. You would just have to have the jug bored or honed depending on what it looks like. It definitely wouldn't cost that much. Don't put a 4-stroke engine in that. You've got to help represent the 250R. hehe

Old 10-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Stumped

listen,why dont we take it one step at a time ..were i come from we do basic no cost steps first (a spark plug @$4.oo is no cost)if what this guy says is true (and it might??)the motor has to be torn down anyway so some basic's won't hurt will it???from what you say in previous post's thing didnt seem that bad...from my opinion this would have to be done first,dont get me wrong iam sure they allways run/sound alot better with a fresh top end......but there are different levels to everything and you have to start somewhere....

Quick Reply: 250R Stumped