Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What A Stupid Moron

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What A Stupid Moron

I have been checking the oil in my 02 Rubicon and and then after I have been running it

The oil level was above the add mark but not all the way to the full mark

Anyways I changed the oil in it 2 days ago for the first time I removed both drain plugs and the oil filter and I got 3 quarts out of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

They say put 3 in and run it for a bit then add the other 2.2 quarts so did this moron who I bought it from forget to add the other 2.2 quarts?????

I put all of the 5.2 quarts in and it runs fine and seems to run nicer and quieter

I can see how he only put in 3 quarts in it

I'm going to do a full service on it tomorrow and change the rear oil and the front differentail oil cause I am scared that he might have just put in 10w40 or something like that instead of the rear end oil

Old 07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

WoW, your quad holds as much oil as my truck.....

Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Well its the transmission and the engine combined its all one

Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

liters man liters

Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

you have to run it to pump oil through the cooler. It drains down cold.

If you put too much it will blow out the pvc system. it won't hurt anything unless your carb sucks it in then you will smoke.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

I would tend to disagree with the idea that it won't hurt to have too much oil in the crankcase. The inside of the engine HAS to have some air inside to allow the piston to move upward and then move back downward. The PCV system allows the crankcase to "breathe" as the piston travels up and down. If there is too much oil inside there, you could cause a hydraulic pressure to form inside the case. It can do nasty things like cause major oil leaks, blow various seals and gaskets, crack cases, and damage rods, bearings, and even pistons.

You can have too much oil in the case. Best case scenario would be for it to vent or otherwise purge the excess oil, but the worst case scenario is bad. Very bad.

When in doubt, drain it and start over.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

I always check my oil first thing in the morning since the bike's been sitting awhile. At this time, the oil should be at the top full mark on the dipstick because any oil that's going to drain down has.

If you check it after running the engine, you're fine as long as the oil level is above the low mark on the stick.

If your changing your oil, go by the dipstick, not a measurered amount. If your engine was brand new, no oil in the filter, any of the oil galleries or the oil cooler, yes, the bike would hold the amount listed in the book. When you change your oil, your only changing the better portion of it as there's always some that dont drain out.

When I change my oil, I fill it until it reads to the top mark. Then I run the engine until it warms up and then shut it down. At this time check to see that the oil level is above the min mark (fill accordingly) and I'll recheck it again after its dead cold to make sure the oil level is up.

This way you have as much oil in the case as you can safely put in, still have enough oil for continued high rev's, and not have any trouble with overfilling.

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: moldycheese
liters man liters
litres, actually.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

its all the same. freakin newfie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

whats a newfie?

Quick Reply: What A Stupid Moron