Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450R clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R clutch question

just bought a used 450R a few days ago. seems like it needs a new clutch. when its in neutral. and when i hold clutch and shift in 1st. it kind of "clunks" makes a noise like that. and it feels like it wants to go. then once im moving and try to shift into 2nd..somtimes it goes into neutral and it revs waaaay up. like... only way i can get into 2nd gear is if i shift the shifter up really high.

on my old 300ex which had a new clutch put into it. it was very easy to shift. you can bary even hear it shift when it does.

any ideas? if i needs a new clutch. where and how much will that cost me?

Old 07-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Just replaced the clutch in my sons 450R. My son said it acted the same way.

A barnet clutch kit with springs, disks and steels is about $100.00 to $125.00 depending on where you get it. Don't forget to soak the disks in the same oil you use in the trans before you install.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

how much do you think it will cost if i bring it in to honda dealer and have them do it? im not good with stuff like this. i dont wanna mess somthing up

Old 07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Range Rover

They quoted me $400.00.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Range Rover

hmmm ok forget that idea. i have a 05' Dennis kirk mag. do you think they will have 04' 450R clutch kits in there? i looked but i get confused. because i dont know what im looking for...

if anyone has that mag. can you help me out? page #?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

CoyoteRiverRaptor, it sounds to me like all you need to do is adjust your cable. Try to make it tighter at the clutch lever. If there is no room there, look at the other end of the cable. I would start with the simple stuff before you buy a whole new clutch. Also, I don't know if it is true or not, but it has been roomered that a barnet clutch will wear and put a sand like substance into the engine oil causing early wear on your cylinder and pisten...? I don't know if that is true, but if you do go with a new clutch, I would do a little research first. (Rockymountainatv.com has a brand called 'tusk', that is what I am using and am very happy with it!)

Old 07-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

it already is pretty hard to pull the clutch lever. i put it in neutral and then reved the engine just a little and then clicked the shifter down...it makes a pretty hard clunk noise. sounds bad when i do it too. when i get a new clutch..what do i need? new disks? plates? springs? a new basket? i dont know i never did it my self.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

You only need to replace a clutch if you can put it in gear and give it gas and when the clutch is let out, it runs like the clutch is still pulled part way in. To me it still sounds like a cable tension problem. I had the same problem with my 400ex right after I bought it. However, if your clutch is slipping I would just get new fiber and steal plates. Springs are a maybe. If you can get a good deal, replace them. Your machine shouldn't be old to the point that you need to replace the springs too. If you look at this web page number seven and eight is all that would need to be replaced. Do not buy them from.Riva Racing! They are the most expensive web page there is.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

Out, my sons quad needed a new clutch. He races it pretty hard and it was also slipping well beyond any adjustment. It also acted like what Xracerz was experiencing.

On the 450R the motor and trans are separated, if oil is going between the two sections your trouble isn't the clutch.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

i tightened it up a little more. it still makes that loud "Clunk" sound when i shift into 1st. and its still hard to shift somtimes. i went to my neighbors house to drive his 400ex. which is somwhat new. and his clutch is very smooth. you cant even hear when you shift it. and its very easy to shift into 2nd 3rd 4 and 5th.

i still think i need to replace somthing. i guess ill have to take apart the clutch and check it out.

Quick Reply: 450R clutch question