Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

They keep making them bigger and bigger to sell to people. I wouldn't buy the biggest heaviest quad they make. If your just going to be trail riding with 1 or 2 people then anything over 250cc is fine. if your climbing hills you need a 4x4 with at least 300cc. before all these (small trucks)'s came out everyone ran 250's and 300's they ran a long time.(still running actually) they had enough power not to be scary but still pull.

Anyway I'm sayng you don't need a 650 or a 450r just because its the biggest and the newest.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

That theory would work great except that he wants speed. In the Honda utility department, the only thing that TRULY qualifies is the Rincon and it's slow by big-bore standards. The Rubicon tops out stock at about 55mph and takes years to get there, believe me, I had one. Everything under the Rubicon just gets worse as far as speed.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Another new kid on the block that might interest you is the new Bomb. outlander 800 .. claimed 62HP and 54lbs-ft torque ... and lighter than most other 4x4 machines (650lbs?? round about).

As for beginner/vs. advanced level quads .. you're a big boy, and old enough to have sense when it comes to operating equipment. Don't get on a machine you're not totally familiar and comfortable with and gunn it right off the start .. you'll only end up hurt.

Good luck in whatever you get .. lots of great choices out there, which is part of the problem and also part of the fun .. ohhh ATV shopping!!! Sweet!

Old 07-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
Another new kid on the block that might interest you is the new Bomb. outlander 800 .. claimed 62HP and 54lbs-ft torque ... and lighter than most other 4x4 machines (650lbs?? round about).

As for beginner/vs. advanced level quads .. you're a big boy, and old enough to have sense when it comes to operating equipment. Don't get on a machine you're not totally familiar and comfortable with and gunn it right off the start .. you'll only end up hurt.

Good luck in whatever you get .. lots of great choices out there, which is part of the problem and also part of the fun .. ohhh ATV shopping!!! Sweet!
If the 650lbs. is dry weight, it's heavier than most. Although this will be a great machine, the price tag is kind of a hellacious pill to swallow.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure if that was dry or not, but they did say in the review that it was a good bit lighter than the 800 Sportsman ...

As for the price tag ... you gotta pay for the best right?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] j/k Don't really know much about them, they're brand new on the market afterall .. time will tell if they're going to be as good as they seem .. Just offering up an option ...

Old 07-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

thank you for all of your replies....I absorb this stuff like a sponge, especially for a "new guy"! I def want to test ride the Rincon and the KingQuad and can't wait to see what the '06 Rincon brings. Whatever I buy (in just a few months) I want to keep it for a while...so I really don't want to look at an '06 or an EFI or IRS and think....I wish I would have gotten that.

Do you guys think the Rincon is overpriced without having those 2 features? ...and if you don't AND don't think it really matters...then when the '06 Rincon is released I could prob get a good deal on an '05.....as long as those 2 features really don't matter so I'm not wishing that I would have spent the $ up front.

Sounds like from you guys at least that you wouldn't even consider a "sport" if you were in my shoes....so you are saying that these new quads like the ones I just mentioned handle well, have plenty of speed and power and that you think I won't get bored....

Old 07-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

Which 2 features are you talking about?

Getting bored with an ATV is directly relative to how much mileage you put on your machine. I have gotten somewhat bored with my Rincon, but I have a lot of miles and hours on mine. Somebody who puts average miles on an ATV shouldn't get bored quite as fast.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

atvtech1, thanks for your reply...and everyone else for that matter! The 2 features I was talking about are EFI & IRS...especially on the IRS...I won't be towing anything at all and it would make for a smoother ride. I would like to have that for sure but the EFI I'm not sure about...I guess it depends on price on an '05 w/o it, like a Rincon....compared to an '06 that has it. I do want to test ride a KingQuad too.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

sorry....like an '06 Rincon that MAY have EFI

Old 07-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I am 6'5", 255 lbs so having a bike that will fit me is very important.
Dude, you are not big, your huge!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and sit or even ride one of the 400's. I'm 6' and 200 and I felt silly on any 400 type of quad. I sat on the DS and it felt REALLY good. But with no reverse it was not for me. I need reverse in tight trail riding that I do. Then I sat on the V force. Wow, this feels really good!!!!! No shifting, and reverse. It's the perfect sport quad for me. I'm not saying it is for you, but do yourself a favor and try these quads out before riding. You might be making a BIG mistake in the 400 class being your size.

If you want a ute, get a big frame one. There are several big frame smaller cc utes out on the market. Try them or at least sit on one for awhile. Being your size I would NOT go under 400cc's.
Most of the people on these boards are kids that weigh about half of what you do. A 400cc quad is a rocket ship to them because of the power to weigh ratio. This won't be the case with you.
I am NOT trying to change your mind. If you are like me you work hard for your $$$'s and I don't want you to end up with something that you don't like.
Good luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!