Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

hmm ... since most of the guys here pretty much have said it all, the only thing left for me to say is that if honda can muster enough energy to come out with an open class 650cc and up quad, we probably wont be having this discussion.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

The ratio of people saying go with a ute is probably 2 1/2 - 3 or so to ONE. I know i would have a blast but for the long term a utility would be better for me with the kids, the trails, and even for a plow every now and then when St. Louis decides we are ready for that big snow. My main concern, as many of you know, is to have a ute with the power, speed, and handling so that I can go places, get dirty and still have a blast doing so.

Jus, Mike, & Razor...seems like a lot of folks had the 450r....I know I wanted one (and still do)....I think I am kidding myself though when I try to say this is the quad that I will have for yrs to come. I really want a Rincon but with it's important items it's missing, I just don't know. I can't wait to see what '06 brings for it in Sept but then again it would be a "first model yr" purchase if there are a lot of changes...bottom line is that I will weigh the Rin, the King, and others and I mentioned in the "ute" forum (I think) that my wife and I have a family friend that owns a Kaw dealer in a neighboring state and IF a huge deals exists...I think I would HAVE to consider a BF 750, 650, or Praire 700.....wouldn't you guys agree?

Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha Rhino? and you can bring your wife along with you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Those are alot of fun.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: stocks
Like the title said I am a rookie BUT I feel too many people ask what they should get w/o providing enough info. Here's my info so that you experienced atv guys can lend me a huge helping hand if you don't mind. I sold my one and only "toy" ('97 seadoo waverunner, bought new) after riding it a ton, to buy my wife's wedding ring. My friends still are shocked (8-9 yrs later) that I didn't buy an atv because obviously you can use them 12 months a yr vs 3 (in St. Louis) and I've wanted one all of my life....well the time has come. I have $3400 saved and by the end of the year I will have enough.

First, places I would ride...my buddy has 100 acres of woods, hills, fields, and a creek about 25 minutes away and those familiar with this area know that about 35-45 min away is St. Joe park (2,000 acres for off road use owned by the state, $2 a day to ride). My brother in law (1 hr away) has hundreds of acres outside his front door in an area that is not developed either...lots of great creeks, trails... Also, my subdivision has a little area of fields and woods and won't be fully developed for another 2 yrs, so at least after a day's work, I could jump on it for a quick ride around (even to the pool, another guy takes his golf cart) and blow off some steam. Obviously, I don't have the absolute best riding areas like some of you but I wanted to paint a picture for you of where I would ride....mostly trails, but speed is still important to me.

I am 6'5", 255 lbs so having a bike that will fit me is very important. I know I am a rookie but with my size I def would want a sport bike at 400 or above or a utility at 500 or above. That brings me to the milliion dollar ? of where to start there. I prefer a sport (really considering the 450r and can't wait to see what '06 brings) but will it be too much for a rookie? My personal belief is that after a few times out I'd probably be fine. The benefit to a utility is riding with my 6 yr old daughter or 3 yr old son. (he has the polaris 700 battery operated quad and absolutely loves it!...anyone know where to get those rubber belts that go over the plastic tires to keep it from wearing bigger holes in them?) I will be the first generation atv rider in the family and def want them to have 50cc and 80cc quads in just a few yrs (he's only 3). I guess if I had a utility I would probably have a plow (for that once or twice a yr big snow) and it would be good to ride with a buddy that wants a utility as well for hunting but a sport just looks like so much fun. I rode my bro in laws 300 AC the other day and it was way to slow, heavy, and didn't handle well at all) I saw a guy's 450r the other day and absolutely loved the way it looks. I subscribe to 2 atv mags, read almost everything here I can and am now relying on your advice. I am posting my story here because I am partial to Honda's. On the utility side I would prefer it to be EFI, but it doesn't have to be (I know Honda doesn't have one yet, also like the Suz KingQuad) and with IRS (I wouldn't be towing anything) and 500cc or so, I really don't want anything less and I don't need any of the new heavy 800's. On the sport side...I really like what I read and hear about the 450r, and would also consider a 400, although not my first choice. Is the 450r too much for the trails, fields, creeks....etc?

I have advantages and disadvantages to owning a sport or a utility for my first quad. Sorry guys this is sooo long....I have waited a LONG time to post this and I can't wait to get started in the ATV world (even at 31!) and raise both of my kids to ride!

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated and if I left anything out PLEASE ASK!
i would go with the Z400 man, you can use it for racing and trails, just about everything you need, im personally a yamaha person but the z400 has impressed me.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

whatever you get though i hope your happy with it because i know how it feels to wait on something for along time and finaly get it. (you want it to be the one for you) but good luck!

Old 07-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

i had a 05 king quad, great quad, great power, scary steering, look around alot of people wreck doing the simple things, ive been riding for a while, it was the only quad to flip me forward . got a rincon, handles like a dream went thru water up to the seat, no belts, plenty of power, think of like this. a sport quad with 4wd. is it the most powerfull? no, wont go thru 4 ft of mud with 29's on it. but it handles great with no problems, and stone reliable. .02 worth

Old 07-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

I just went through this scenario, I was torn between the Rincon and the King Quad. I had both dealers within $300 of each other, but after driving both and looking at what I was getting for the money, the Rincon just didn't cut it. Not that the Rincon is a bad machine, its that the King Quad technology is way ahead of the Rincon.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, for me it is basically down to these 2....waiting to see what the '06 Rincon brings or it will most likely be an '06 KQ, I actually like that army green......anyone out there buy an '06 yet and if so what kind of room for negotiating down is there with the dealer?

Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm telling you from experience weight and handling are very important. What good is a 600 +lb quad if you can't lift it out of a rut? What good is a 600+lb quad if you know it will kill you if it flips. If you can't pick up the rear or front end 6 inches on the show room floor and slide it over its too heavy. There will be times on the trail when you will take the wrong line,slide or just get thrown over into a bottomles rut. 4x4 with a locker will not get you out. You will have to pick up the quad and get the front or the rear on some traction. Mudd will suck the quad down and make it heavier.

I'm 26 and weigh 195lbs. The recon has plenty of power to pull steep hills. It's very light and fun. The rancher is a bit more heavy but with my wife on the back it's more comfortable and I can crawl up some of the hills without her having to get off. So for me the rancher is perfect. I have never felt like I didn't have enough power.

I should also mention this.
If you buy the biggest and the best 450r or rincon. guys on the trail will try to get you to show off. Yfz's will want to race that 450r and the kwasuki and suzuki guys will want to show up your rincon. I have seen it. Whats funny is when they run there mouth about the yfz and an old 250r dusts them.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Ive driven a couple ute's before and they just cant match the fun of a sport atv.I can drive around with little kids whether or not they're on the back or riding their little 50's. I can go alot of places on my lakota. I cant go EVERYWHERE a 4x4 can go but usally i can get around it.With the tires i have on it handles mud great.Im not saying saying get a lakota with your size of course it would be too small but im just trying to give you an exaple of what a sport can do. You could look into a yamaha Wolverine or polaris scrambler. They may not be as sporty as a sport but they are sportier than a ute. If i were you i would go with a z400 or 400ex They are probably everything you'll want in an atv for years to come.

Quick Reply: 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!