Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is Honda still #1 in ATV sales?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Honda still #1 in ATV sales?

I am curious to know if Honda is still #1 in ATV sales. If you know, what is your source of information? What do you think they will introduce next to stay on top?

Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

i've heard they are, but i dont know for sure. How do you like your rubicon?
--------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
27' ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
High Performance Dayco Belt

2001 Honda Rancher ES (2wd)
2.5 Warn Winch

Old 07-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

I bet they are and I bet they remain that way for quite awhile. The sad part about it is, uneducated people will go out and buy a Honda just because it's a Honda. While it will last forever, it's probably underpowered, underfeatured and flat-out outclassed compared to most if not all it's competition. There are exceptions to this, but it's the way things are for the most part in the utility segment. To make matters worse, as long as Honda remains on top, they will probably never make any of their machines truly competitive except maybe the 450R. I hope they prove me wrong with the Rincon this year though. I would still love to see Big Red release a hybrid true sport-utility machine. A very lightweight 4x4 with a smaller, but very peppy engine similar to that of a CRF250R would be sweet. Back when I had the Rubicon, even with a Warn 424 on it, it was a blast to hop on my uncle's Recon and fly down the trails and field roads. You can throw a little 250 around amazingly easily in comparison to a 600+ pounder. Get it stuck: lift it out by hand. Heck, if they priced it reasonably and maybe even found a way to make it shaft-drive, I'd be the first in line.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:05 AM
The Facility

Good topic and everyone seems to be getting to the point rather than talk brand loyalty. Good discussion.
I got a few facts, and then I have a few opinions based on those facts.
This is the running order of sales figures from 2004. Other brands arent listed because they choose not to participate. Bombardier will be incuded in the numbers for this year though I have heard.

Honda
Yamaha
Polaris
Suzuki
Kawasaki

As far as intorducing something to stay on top, they really don't have nothing to be worried about. The gap between Honda and Yamaha is about the same as it's been for the past 4 years. Polaris narrowly took Yamaha's spot a few years back temporarily, but it didn't get any gains on Honda. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the difference is always in the 20,000 - 30,000 units range. Which is about as much as Kawasaki sells alone each year. Honda has nothing to worry about in the immediate future for sure.

Concerning the notion that people buy Honda simply because it is a Honda is absolutely true....but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I see posts everyday on here from folks talking about Honda not having this feature and not having this size engine and not having enough power. That is the majority of ENTHUSIASTS speaking. And very, very very few ATV buyers are enthusiasts compared to the overall number of buyers. Not everyone rides with buddies. Not everyone rides in the mud for fun. Not everyone pulls trailers. Not everyone wants the fastest ride. Not everyone wants everything simple....but the majority does. It's hard to see that when you eat, breathe, and sleep ATVs...but it's the truth.
I am as much as an enthusiast as the next guy on this forum and would love to see new features added to some of their ATVs, but you would have to imagine the guys sitting around the table asking each other why....when their lineup is still top of the heap overall.
It will take losing sales for Honda to follow the other guys. Everytime something new comes out, everyone is all jumping around yelling about how it's going to affect Honda sales. It's going to take a great LINEUP to surpass Honda. Not just a cool new model every couple of years.

What in particular? Someone will have to come up with a entry level and midsize lineup to go heads up with the Recon and Rancher becase these quads dominate (yes, strong word) both of those segments and are the reasons that Honda stays on top.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider

Where did you find any info on the sales? I cant find anything.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KNOWSALOT, first I would like to say thank you for the informative post and I have enjoyed your imput for almost 2 years now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Second, I wonder if you could respond to this theory of mine? I agree with pretty much everthying you say, the only thing I would add is that I think Honda could use a top of the line flagship model on the utility and sport side of things. Why?...

The majority of buyers are going after small-mid size atv's like you said, but I would think having a flagship model would increase the small-mid size atv sales as well. Guys might say "hey look, if Honda can build that machine, there mid size quads must be great to". It would just give Honda more attention IMO. And this would keep the enthusiasts happy at the same time. I know they have a comfortable lead in sales, but why not make it bigger? That is what made this country what it is today.

I don't know how much you follow dirtbikes, but Honda's motocross 4-strokes are the cream of the crop. And I know a lot of trail guys or younger guys who are buying small-mid size bikes that is a Honda because they look like there bigger racing siblings. Not to say that a lot aren't sold because of there reliability history.

Hopefully I got my point across and can get a few responces. I know I am a huge ATV and Dirtbike enthusiast so my opinion is a little biast towards performance, but I still think the flagship theory of mine would increase sales even if the actual flagship unit doesn't sell big numbers.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM
The Facility

WISTECH, As far as the list goes; it's printed every September by Dealer News. The OEMs also send detailed information (some quarterly and some yearly) to it's dealers and even break this down sometimes to the exact model of machine...by the numbers.

motox26,
Thanks. Your theory makes sense and I agree with what you said about the dirtbikes. Two more months and we will see if this is the year.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Dealer News eh. I found some stats but they combines bikes and atvs so that was not very usefull.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
The Facility

Yes, they don't usually break up the numbers each month. But they do in their ATV special each year. It should be arriving in the next couple of weeks with the late04 to early05 data.
Last year, that issue only had the numbers in a seperate mag along with the regular issue that combined ATVs and bikes. It arrives as two individual magazines, but in one clear package. Ladt year it was anyway if I remember correctly.

Also, just a couple months ago, they did an 05 ATV sales preview with a lot of sales figures and forecast predictions on ATVs. This was also a seperate mag.
If you aren't getting these, be sure that the magazine recognizes you as an ATV dealer. They have special mags (like watercraft) but only for watercraft dealers.....so be sure they have you marked down as selling the right products.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

JJonjon, You asked how I liked my Rubicon. I have had a Rubicon since they were first introduced. It is a machine that I really trust. Here's what I like and don't like:
It is very reliable, I've never had a breakdown ever. It is very stable on off camber hills. One thing I like about Honda over all the other ATV bikes is how sure footed they are. They are glued to the ground, and I like that alot.
Here's what I don't like:
After riding my King Quad it is hard to get back on the Rubicon much. It doesn't steer as easy, it doesn't have the mid-range punch of the current big bore bikes. It doesn't ride as well and it just isn't as fun as the King.
I owned a Rincon but I could never stand the transmission. In Automatic it is always hunting for a gear. It ESP is shifts hard and is limited by just having 3 gears.
One thing I will say about Honda though - nothing holds their resale value like a Honda. They are easy to resale and you recover a good portion of what you initially spend. I can't say that about any other quad. (I've had Yamaha, Polaris and now Suzuki)

Quick Reply: Is Honda still #1 in ATV sales?