Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Denton A-Arms, TCS Shocks, Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Chris on the suspension. People usually have it backwards. Buy suspension first, then buy engine. Most people don't realize it, but a stock engine on good suspension will go faster than a modified engine on stock suspension, everywhere except a drag race (and sometimes even there).

Old 10-18-2000, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have denton a-arms. tcs shocks and a denton steering stabilizer on my 400EX. I am very happy with all of them. I like how the tcs shocks lower the ride height it really helps me rail the corners. Dentons a-arms are pretty much Lonestar's and they are nice and beefy and work well.

I dont know what to say about the Denton stabilizer all I know is I like it and it works for me. The way I have mine set up seems to work well.

Adam Smith
99 400EX

Old 10-18-2000, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I put TCS shocks on my 250r and they made a HUGE improvement. I have a friend with the Denton A-arms on his 400ex, they are nice as well. Dont kow about the stabalizer, but I plan to get one for my 250r.

As far as the upgrade suspension then engine, I have to say to an extent that is correct, but also that its not totally right. I have a friend with a stock suspended 400ex with just a whitebros pipe who is one of the fastest quad racers in this area, its cause this kid can just ride! With suspension and a little motor work he would be untouchable. Anyway, there is another guy who just totally dominated the racing scene around here, and got 3rd in the nationals in stock class with a 400ex 2 years ago, but now he has stock motor and suspension work all the way around, I think he is runnin PEP shocks, anyway, the kid on the stock suspension with a pipe blew him away the other day. I witnessed it, he just couldnt keep up on the straighets, while he made up a HAIR in the whoops, everwhere else with teh pipe was just faster.
So...do a little engine work then go with shocks if it were me. I just got suspension, but already have the pipe and some SMALL engine mods. Just dont go all out on the engine and not spend any on handeling.

Old 10-19-2000, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Throwing differences in riders in the mix makes no sense. Same rider - on a modified engine vs properly modified suspension, unless the track is just extremely high speed - suspension will win every time. The more technical the track, the bigger the difference.

Old 10-19-2000, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

The Denton stablilzer works ok and is better than nothing, but....

The geometry is off anyway you mount it. When the wheels are straight, the ear and mounting point on the steering stem end has to be perpendicular to the body of the stabilizer. Otherwise inconsistancies in damping left to right will occur.

When purchasing a telescopic stabilizer, look for one that is adjustible at the stabilizer body. The Denton and Graydon are fixed. Without this adjustment there is no way to match it to the machine properly.