Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Denton A-Arms, TCS Shocks, Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Folks,

I have a 400EX, mostly stock, ride MX only and weigh in at about 220 w/gear. I am comnsidering ordering a set of Denton A-arms, TCS SCS front shocks (will have the rear "converted" if I like the fronts) and a steering stabilizer.

Has anyone used the Denton A-Arms on a 400EX? What did you think?

I also need a suggestion on a steering stabilizer. It sounds like the Denton dosen't fit easily on the EX (from previous posts). Any thoughts on TCS vs Axis (TCS SCS fronts are same price as AXIS NON-ADJ fronts)?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Both TCS and AXIS are high quality shocks. They use internal shim stack valving and perform basicly the same way. The differances lie in the adjustability and construction. TCS are great shocks, but AXIS are far more adjustable and built from higher quality materials. Everything about the construction of AXIS is bigger.
If money is an issue. Get the TCS, you wouldn't be dissapointed. If you have money for just shocks, and you want the best. Get the AXIS.

Old 10-18-2000, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input!

Money is a consideration, but not to the point of getting sub-par performance/products....

My thought on the TCS was that the ZPS would offer a smoother and lower ride compared to the AXIS (which does not offer a ZPS). Am I incorrect in that assumption? I didn't really want to pay $1225 for the fully adjustable AXIS setup up front...but if they are superior to the TCS (by a fair margin), then I will definitely consider them.

Also, I should note that my A-ARM criterion was +2+1, chromoly, adjustable chamber and caster, and zerks.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2000, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong. TCS are excellent shocks. They offer great performance and superb valve.

TCS ZPS shocks lower the quad about 3" in both the front and the rear. AXIS shocks also lower ride height, but only by about an inch or so.

The thing that separates AXIS from TCS is adjustability. AXIS shocks can be adjusted for a wider variety of terrian. TCS shocks are also adjustable, but not quite as much as AXIS.
If you get a TCS shock setup for motocross, it will perform flawlessly for you on the track. But if you go on a trail ride, the shock will be too stiff, and beat you too death.
If you get an AXIS shock setup for motocross, it also will perform great for you on the track. But here is the differance. If you then decide too go on a trail ride. The AXIS can be adjusted for that smoother ride, unlike the TCS. The AXIS is more adjustable.

You should always get the shock setup for "your" type of riding/racing. Mine are setup for Cross Country. But they still adjust stiff enough too run on a MX track. Adjustablity is the differance.

AXIS shocks are also build with larger parts. Physicaly, they put other shocks too shame. In a side by side comparission, you can see the larger shafts, bodies and construction of the AXIS.

Like I said before. TCS are excellent shocks, and you will not be disappointed in your purchase. But if you have money too spend on just shocks. Get the AXIS, they are the best product on the market. I know I love mine.

You may want too take a look at LoneStar chassis products. I don't know if they are the best. But that is what I plan on adding too my EX for Cross Country racing.

Old 10-18-2000, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the input...

I have two buddies with AXIS all the way around..I agree the quality and performance are truly first rate.

I assume the adjustability you are referring to is compression and rebound. I believe the TCS has adjustable compression, but not rebound. About $425 difference between the fully adjustable AXIS and TCS (still no adjustable rebound on TCS).

Question: When the bike is lowered 3" by the TCS ZPS shocks, is the frame now 3" CLOSER (or ground clearance decreased by 3")? Again for MX, isn't this an issue? Or am I confused on this point?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2000, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the frame clearance will be reduced. the way I understand it, Axis does use the "zero preload" setup, as the "light" spring compresses under the bike's weight and allows you to set on the crossover. Axis themselves will tell you that about 8" of frame to gnd clearance is about right for many forms of racing (give or take some for rider preference and type of riding), my TCS's run about 7.5 and are setup for MX. I also race XC with these same shocks, they work pretty well, corners light years better. Either Axis or TCS can be setup any way you like. I find that frame clearance is rarely an issue as the rear brake rotor and sprocket section of the swingarm are much more of a concern.

Dollar for dollar, the TCS's will be more adjustible, to get the high speed compression adjustible AXIS fronts, you will have to spend about $300 more. Are they worth it? Probably, haven't tried a set yet.

Both the Axis and TCS are adjustible for ride height. Axis comes with a pretty nice little manual for setting up, adjusting, and maintaining your shocks, as well.

Really, if you want a really good shock, get the TCS, if you have the extra money to spare, get the Axis, I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with either.

As for the steering stablizer, Scotts are probably the best you can buy. If you don't want to spend that much money, there is a telescopic damper that will work well, but I am unsure which one it is at this time. I am thinking it's the Muscle damper, but need to see one. The Denton's mounting geometry is off and damps more one direction than the other, I have somewhat corrected this on mine, but it's still not right and I can't recommend that unit. Graydon-proline seems the same, although I thought at first it had the proper adjustibility.

Old 10-18-2000, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Gabe is correct.

Ride height is not the biggest problem. The thing you have too worry about is bottoming your frame out while jumping. All aftermarket shocks increase wheel travel. My AXIS increase it too the point where I bottom the frame out when getting big air. Solution..... A top-of-the-line full-legnth skid plate. It's better too land on the skidplate, than on your frame.

Don't let the high cost of aftermarket shocks and additional add-on's like skidplates scare you off from purchasing better suspension. In my opinion, the money I spent on shocks was well worth every penny. I think suspesion is the first modification anyone should make too any "sport" machine. It allows you too use the power you have, and the machine no longer beats you too death riding it.
As a racer, suspension gave me the confidence too attack the course without fear of losing control. I now triple into the whoops, ride full-throttle over off-chambers, and corner like never before.

Old 10-18-2000, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys... Both great comments and much appreciated

It sounds like the TCS may be the best "bang for the buck" shock without too much compromise in product quality (compared to AXIS). So I will probably go with them.... Since both are of good quality (and I am going to limit myself to $750 in the front shocks) I am assuming I will get more bang for the buck out of the TCS (with adj compression) vs the AXIS Non-Adj for the same $$$? Any opinion?

It appears bottoming the frame can happen ( I suspect because of too "soft" a setting on the shocks) with either the TCS ZP setup or the Axis. Thanks for the info there

The Scotts steering stabilizer looks great and totally different than the others. It is a bit pricey for me, though.. May have to look for other options..

Any feedback on the Denton A-Arms? Know anyone who has them?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 10-18-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

The dentons i noticed mount on the bottom of the searing stem and hook to the frame while the scott's mount up top.... What is the difference?

Old 10-18-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

It's a completely different design. The Denton and other telescopic designs are nothing more than a shock absorber. They damp any motion of the
steering stem. The Scotts only damps away from center, coming back to center has no damping resistance. There are also independent settings for low and high speed damping (in reference to steering rate of change, not vehicle speed).

Quick Reply: Denton A-Arms, TCS Shocks, Steering Stabilizer