Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I need opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM
xtc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need opinions please.

Would like anyones input on my current situation with my local honda dealer. I have just purchased a 2005 recon 250 which only has 15 hours on it and just had its first maintenance at the dealership were I purchased it,has been smoking alot after getting warm (white smoke)since new but had gotten much worse. There service dept. told me to ride it (after picking up from maint.)and return if needed..It was needed. That was last week,they found that the clip that holds the piston slipped off and the piston mared up the wall pretty bad.Called today to ask when it was going to be ready and was told not until next week due to having a hard time getting parts from honda. My Questions to the forum members are these:1) what will these repairs due to the longevity of my atvs life? 2)has anyone every demanded a new atv because of manufacturers defect.and got one? 3) has anyone had a hard time getting honda parts lately or am I getting B.S.?...what's your opinion,thanks..

Old 08-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

not sure about the 1st few questions but with regards to parts ive heard some dealers in the area saying they have been having probs and i got a few friends that work for the dealerships and even they are saying honda has been slow with parts and warranty stuff

few dealerships in my area have dropped the honda line up because of recent probs with parts and service

Old 08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Its like anything, sometimes there are delays in getting parts, especially on machines that on average never need those parts. If it was a motor that was known for blowing up like that, parts would be readilly accessable.

With regards to the repair, if its done by a good mechanic, it will be as good as new, especially if they replace the jug and piston, rather than just repairing the jug.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Boy, thats a tough one. It all depends on what the specific repair is(resleeve?), and it depends alot on the mechanic. whether he is skilled, and a happy worker, or if hes having a bad day, and doesnt care.
Seeing how this is probably your first quad, you have some leverage. Talk to the owner if posible, and let him know youd like to have a good first experience with honda, and if you do, there could be more purchases coming from you. Theres got to be a way, for him to either have a whole, complete new motor installed, or a new quad. Maybe he can make an exchange, but its not likely...because then the problem is his. He would have to resell a repaired quad.
Right now its hondas problem, and they need to make it right. Its not the dealerships fault, and you need to be asertive, but you also need to know, that you need the dealer to go to bat for you...so dont **** him off.
Explain that there was a defect in the manufacture of the motor, and who knows what else is wrong with it, but you have lost confidence in it. What can be done, so you can have confidence, and have a quad thats like new.
Id push for a whole new motor, and if the owner doesnt help, try the honda help line or the area rep.
At the minimum...id push for the 3 year motor warentee for free. Then you know youve got 3 years of use to find out how well the repair went.
Good luck,
PS, sorry about using the word tough, tough, ...im not trying to hyjack the thread. Im gonna have to quit using that word.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

When the crf 450 bikes got here a buddy was right in line to get his. It blew the crank out of itself the first day. He took it back, and they orderd part and what not. He got the run around, then demanded a new engine. They couldn't get an engine, either so they traded him bikes under warranty.

So I say shoot for the moon and see what you can get out of them. If the dealer wants you back, they'll treat you right.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

At the very least make sure you get a new sleeve put in that jug. if you dont then you could run into problems if you need to have the motor bored again depending on how bad you scored the sleeve this time. honda should put in a new motor at no cost to you tho. hard telling where that clip went or where it may be stuck.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 AM
xtc
Range Rover

thanks for the replys,stopped by yesterday to talk to sales manager who wouldnt commit to anything.Going to call honda and see what they say.will repost as the saga continues.Again,thanks for the help and ride safe...