Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

hard starting rubicon, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard starting rubicon, is this normal?

If the air temp is 80 degrees, it shouldnt need any choke to start. If it does...then the idle circuit is too lean. But seeing how yours wont, id sure think its getting way too rich with the choke on.
Mine will start down to 40 degrees, with no choke, no primer, not all hondas are cold blooded, mine will even start at 10F. with choke and primer. And its ready to drive in about 30 seconds.
When i say to start the motor at 1/4 throttle, i mean hold it steady at 1/4 open while cranking...as soon as it fires, let go of the throttle. The motor may flare up to 2000 rpm, but that doesnt hurt a thing. If it still doesnt idle with out giving it some blips or holding the throttle open...then its not jetted right, or the idle speed is too low.
How much alitiude difference are you riding? Its posible that where you are(at the dealership), its jetted right on, but when you get up in alt. then its too rich.
You may benifit from the air box vents...where you remove duct tape from the holes as you climb in altitude, to let in more air, to lean the carb circuits back. Then as you come back down in alt, you cover them back up, with new duct tape.
Thats how it is with carbs, they are mechanical devices. The only way to avoid having to do these things, is to have efi.
After youve owned it for awhile, and get used to it, youll come up with a starting procedure, that works. Its easier for us old guys, who used to have cars and trucks with carbs and chokes, because we grew up with all those issues.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Your description of how yours starts is how I expected mine to start. The dealership did jet it for altitude. The jetting is for 6000-9000 feet. I agree with you that the problem lies in the idle circuit. The dealership is not being difficult, but they aren't in a real hurry to adjust it to the scenario that you described. They say that "they all do that, but we'll check it out".
They have it over the weekend. I'm going to go in on Tuesday and have them adjust it so from a regular cold start (80 F) with or without choke so it catches and idles fine shortly afterwards. All of my other honda products do that. (generator outboard motor)

Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Dont know if this will help or not in your situation. I have a 2004 rubicon and after about 120 miles it started doing the same thing. HARD TO START. I adjusted the valves and not all you have to do is just bump the starter and it fires right up and idles with out the choke on. Hope this will help you and let me know how it turns out. If you would like to see some pics of my bike click photo link and check out my profile on yahoo ant msmuddawgs.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

I have an 05 Rubi and mine starts with full choke, zero throttle, and just a push on the starter every time. I think that your dealer just doesn't have the jetting right.