Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

hard starting rubicon, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard starting rubicon, is this normal?

I just bought a new 05 rubicon and had it jetted by the dealership for the correct altitude. I took it into the mountains and tried to start it. I pulled the choke out, and then pushed the starter for quite a while, repeatedly without it starting. Occasionally it would fire off, but it died as soon as I let the starter button up. I almost killed the battery. I returned to the dealer and the went over it but found nothing wrong. We tried it again at the dealership and the tech started cracking the throttle a little and gave it a little high idle until it warmed up. Is this the way they all act? I thought that with the choke on it would turn over and start without any help, and as it warmed up, I would have to decrease the choke until it was off completely. Does anyone know which way it is suppose to start? I don't want to damage it. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

anyone?

Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

If your carb is correct with a cold engine you should be able to hit the choke and not touch the throttle and it should start quickly and run at a fast idle without stalling untill it warms up a bit and then you can turn off the choke and it should idle on it's own.

If it will not do exactly this then you have a problem with the carb or intake boot.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you. That is what I thought. The dealer is telling me otherwise. I'll take it back again. I bought a honda to avoid all of this crap.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Unless you buy one with efi, it doesnt matter what brand you buy....its a carb problem. We're all used to efi in our cars and trucks, where all you have to do is turn the key, and it starts.....Carbs are different.
When you were using the choke..what was the temperature? If it was over 40 degrees, you probably dont need the choke on.
As the quad goes up in altitude, the air thins out, and the mixtures get richer. It may already have been running too rich, and then adding the choke when you start may have been too much for it, and it flooded out.
Next time try no choke, and just use 1/4 throttle while cranking, ill bet it fires right up.
If it floods again, remove the air box lid, and try starting it. This will lean it out...alot.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

It was 80 degrees and I tried all different combinations choke on, off, half way etc. It was jetted for altitude, and I feel that part is correct. I am concerned about the amount of cranking that I have to do and, what I consider to be an excessive amount of throttle that I have to give and maintain, to keep it running until warm up.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

longgun,
So you got your Rubi. Did you check out Fay Myers or get it elsewhere? My Foreman will do what your's does too. I've found that by giving it ONE shot on the carb primer and about half choke, it'll fire everytime.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

I went with Sun Honda. I've done a lot of looking there with one saleman every time, so I gave him the business. I paid 7200 out the door. They seem to be working with me. It's actually at thier shop right now. They are trying to recreate the problem. All of those guys give it quite a bit of throttle too. That's why I was asking because it just doesn't seem right to goose a cold engine as much as this one. You also have to keep high rpm until it warms up. Then it idles ok. I guess we'll see on Tuesday. I feel like I spent a lot of money on this, so I want it to work right and last a long time.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

My Honda big bores have always been cold blooded, always started best with choke for the first start of the day, even at 95F. The Rubicon acts just like my XRs. No throttle, full choke, should start immediately. As soon as it starts I let it idle for as long as I can wait to ride, less time for higher temps (and unless it's really cold, I can shut the choke off right away, coldest temps I have to blip the choke every now and then for a minute). If you blip the throttle they will usually bog until they're warm and happy.

I usually have to spend the time to jet, but I've been happy with the way my 04 was set up.

If your machine does not start right away, I agree its a carb problem. Not with the actual hardware as much as the tune. Wrong set-up would be my guess. 2 Lean.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

I agree. Since it's new, I'd like them to set it up right. I bet they will. It's just taking a while. I want to get out this weekend and ride. Even if it's on the sidewalk in Denver.

Quick Reply: hard starting rubicon, is this normal?