Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FOREMAN 400 FRONT END NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOREMAN 400 FRONT END NOIDE

I have a 1999 foreman 400 with 4K miles on it and have had zero problems up until now.I started noticeing a noise comeing from the front end when under power and turning the handle bar in either direction.I assumed the bearings were worn out in the wheel assembly so I replaced both wheel bearings and seals but the noise is still there.The bearings were worn slightly but actually not enough to cause any problems.I am wondering if it could be the CV joint.Any ideas??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2005, 12:23 AM
vj
Range Rover
Default FOREMAN 400 FRONT END NOISE

barnone welcome to the forum. maybe your shocks are shot?

Old 08-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx,I was looking for a good informational forum for a long time and lucked up to find this site.It does not sound much like a shock, to me that is,and I have very good response when compressing the front end toward the ground,no lag in the return at all.I will check it out more today and post back if I find something wrong.Thanx for the reply.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I changed the front diff oil this morning in the front and checked the shocks again as best I could.I have found out that if the wheeler is not running and you turn the handle bar all the way left or right I hear the rattleing noise.It has got me keyed in on the front axle u joints(possibly).I inspected all the ball joints and tie rod ends when I went through the wheel bearings and all looked very good,no slack.Any ideas any one??

Old 08-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Is it a "clicking" noise?My 450 did that and I tore the hole front end apart checking everything.The axles were good,but I changed the bearings,brakes,1 ball joint,and 1 tei-rod.After all that,it still made that noise when turning.

I then changed the front end oil a'gain,this time I put in an additive.So far,no noise.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea,it's sort of a click click sound.I changed the diff oil hopeing that it may be the clutches slipping a little but when I noticed it still makeing the noise with the engine off and turning the handle bar it makes me think that it could be the u joints on the axle.Maybe it wont shut down completly and will make it through this deer hunting season.I realy don't have the funds or the time to tear every thing down right now but I sure don't want to get stranded in the woods and have to walk a mile or 2 back home with my bad knee that I just had surgey on..know what I mean??

Old 08-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Range Rover

The problem is that the clutch plates in the front diff are sticking and not fully releasing when making a turn. This is a common problem on the older limited slip Honda diffs.

Go to your local GM dealer and get yourself some GM limited slip additive. Take a good ride with your Foreman to get the oil warmed up and drain the old oil out of the diff. Pour a few ounces of the GM additive in the diff and top up the rest with regular 80W90 hypoid gear oil. Take another good ride for the addtive to work its magic and the noise will go away.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll try it and see what happens.One question though,would it still make the noise with the engine off and simply turning the handle bar all the way from one side to the other?It does not have to be under power to make the noise.I got a freind to turn the handle bar with engine off while I felt around on the axle and chunk and it feels like it is right where the axle comes out of the chunk,inner bearing area.I will do what you suggested and hope that solves it...man I hope so!
Thanx...

Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Yes, the noise will be present when turning the bars lock to lock. Have a look at the tires when you do this, they move, which means the clutch plates are moving inside the diff. Hence the noise...

Old 08-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

It worked for me.Mine has over 8200 kms.

Quick Reply: FOREMAN 400 FRONT END NOISE